Installing new font bumper -- unexpected frame piece

Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
swaterfall is on a distinguished road
Name: Seth
swaterfall's Tacoma Gallery
Installing new font bumper -- unexpected frame piece

Hi!

First time poster

I am installing a new front bumper on my 1999 Tacoma and I'm at a WTF moment right now.

Backstory is the guy I got the truck from had a body lift installed and I've removed it but I think it's still kicking my ass.

The bumper install should be pretty easy but there is a cross member welded on the frame right where the bumper mounting plate should go. All of the pics of 1st gen Tacomas I have seen online do not have this piece.

Amy I crazy or was this probably welded on in order to mount the skid plate for the old body lift? Can I just cut this off?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing new font bumper -- unexpected frame piece-bump2.jpg   Installing new font bumper -- unexpected frame piece-bump1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about first gens but it looks like an after thought
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
That is stock. For my All Pro, I had to cut out that in between piece and cut back on the frame horns, and then install some filler plates on the frame horns.

It's all stock. No aftermarket mod there that I can see.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong, but it looks like that is the mounting point of where the crash bar goes.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick View Post
That is stock. For my All Pro, I had to cut out that in between piece and cut back on the frame horns, and then install some filler plates on the frame horns.

It's all stock. No aftermarket mod there that I can see.
Interesting! Seems like a lot of work for an aftermarket bumper.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
On this page, there's a Word link to the 98-00 models. In the Word, you can see the pictures (you'll have to bump up the zoom quite a bit) they included that shows what the stock front end looks like (same as OP's pictures).

Yes, it was a bit of a pain in the ass!

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...-front-bumpers
Old 06-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
swaterfall is on a distinguished road
Name: Seth
swaterfall's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a ton you guys!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
yeah no one really knows why, but Toyota extended the frame for the 98-00 models.

they serve no purpose (no noticeable purpose) and anyone with those model years has to cut the sum bitches off and re weld a filler plate just to be normal, then get the aftermarket bumper.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say for other aftermarket bumpers...
but the All-Pro tube bumper has that lower cross member
built into their tube bumper...

* that factory installed cross member supports the forward side of the oem front skid pan.

so yeah (already stated) that factory cross member need be removed...
as well... the frame horns require shortening/cut off by 3"
^ required for all 98-00 models.

btw... that's my junk showing on AP's *pdf
Tho' I could have easily done the work myself...
Can't really argue about free install/fitment

What bumper is it that you're installing ?