Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Timing mark confusion over crank pulley

Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
rydethahillz is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
rydethahillz's Tacoma Gallery
Timing mark confusion over crank pulley

Im currently replacing my timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, idler bearings, tensioner and all 3 accessory belts.. Prior to removing the timing belt, i made sure to rotate the crankshaft until the camshaft pulleys lined up at TDC. All 3 marks were aligned perfectly when at TDC (both cam pulley's as well as the marking at 12 o'clock on the crankshaft and oil pump). The crank pulley however was set to "5' rather than "0". Could this be due to the cureent belt being stretched out after 10 years?

i guess my biggest question is should i reisntall the new belt this way? or should the pulley point at "0" when the cams and crank are all at TDC?

This is an 03 3.4L 4x4 - 5sp with 38k miles. Im just replacing all of these parts due to age. The belt looked great when i pulled it off last night.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Gooiegoogoo is on a distinguished road

Name: Gustavo
Gooiegoogoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydethahillz View Post
Im currently replacing my timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, idler bearings, tensioner and all 3 accessory belts.. Prior to removing the timing belt, i made sure to rotate the crankshaft until the camshaft pulleys lined up at TDC. All 3 marks were aligned perfectly when at TDC (both cam pulley's as well as the marking at 12 o'clock on the crankshaft and oil pump). The crank pulley however was set to "5' rather than "0". Could this be due to the cureent belt being stretched out after 10 years?

i guess my biggest question is should i reisntall the new belt this way? or should the pulley point at "0" when the cams and crank are all at TDC?

This is an 03 3.4L 4x4 - 5sp with 38k miles. Im just replacing all of these parts due to age. The belt looked great when i pulled it off last night.
what was the outcome to this?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
rydethahillz is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
rydethahillz's Tacoma Gallery
I think those marks may be there to show you how much the belt has stretched? When I installed all the new parts and the new belt, it was set back to "0". Purrrrrs like a mountain goat now.

Dont quote me on this though, I drank a whole lotta beers.