Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Fluid Change - 3.4 V6 4x4 w/locker

Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Diff Fluid Change - 3.4 V6 4x4 w/locker

Reading the fluid specs (see attached) from the FSM and am wondering if I truly do need two different weight gear oils for the front and rear diffs?

Since the text gets all messed up wrapping inside the diff box, I am having a hard time reading it. The way I'm reading it is:

Front diff: GL-5 75W-90 1.2 quarts
Rear diff w/locker: GL-5 80W-90 3.1 quarts

I have no idea what the "2.8 quarts" is referring to nor do I know what the SWB and LWB stand for.

Can someone let me know what gear oil to use for the diffs and how much? Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fluid Specs.pdf (41.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Use 75w-90 for all. Diffs and xfer case.

Amsoil Severe gear is good shit!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Use 75w-90 for all. Diffs and xfer case.

Amsoil Severe gear is good shit!
See this is confusing.

I was also given different info from one of the best mechanics in town. They say use 80W-90 for diffs front and rear.

And holy crap... $15 a quart for Amsoil Severe Gear?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Here's Amsoil's fluid recs for my truck

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Vehic...OYOTA+TACOMA+8

Which fluids do I choose? It does get below zero here sometimes in the winter. But for the most part it's not below 0
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
How do I attach files on here?

FSM says:
Hypoid gear oil API GL–5SAE 75W–90
Above –18C (0F) SAE 90
Below –18 C (0 F) SAE 80W or 80W–90
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Figured it out. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lubr (1).pdf (9.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
How do I attach files on here?

FSM says:
Hypoid gear oil API GL5SAE 75W90
Above 18C (0F) SAE 90
Below 18 C (0 F) SAE 80W or 80W90
I assume those 2003 specs are the same for my 1998?

Also... can I put 80W-90 in there even though 99.8% of the time it will be above 0 degrees? And just have it in the diffs for those rare times it does get that cold?

Will it have any negative effect?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I assume those 2003 specs are the same for my 1998?

Also... can I put 80W-90 in there even though 99.8% of the time it will be above 0 degrees? And just have it in the diffs for those rare times it does get that cold?

Will it have any negative effect?
The specs should be the same for all 1st gens as there was no change in the rear diff over this period.

I'm not an oil expert, and don't have to worry about 0 in coastal California, so I'm sure someone who knows more than me can chime in. I used 75w90 mobil 1 in diffs + transfer; redline for tranny.

Saw this on a different board via google fwiw:

"Owners manuals are very confusing sometimes. Most 75W-90 gear oils are synthetic and most straight weights and 80W-90 gear oils are mineral based. What they are trying to tell you is if the temps are above 0-F you can use a straight 90wt gear oil, but if you are going to see temps below 0-F to use a 80W-90 mineral gear oil. Your 75W-90 gear oils will cover a wider temp range, and will work a lot better in below 0 temps.

A good gear oil to use that you can probably find on the parts shelf of most parts stores in your area would be Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil. You do not have to add anything to it in case you have a limited slip/posi-track diff."

EDIT: here
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
The specs should be the same for all 1st gens as there was no change in the rear diff over this period.

I'm not an oil expert, and don't have to worry about 0 in coastal California, so I'm sure someone who knows more than me can chime in. I used 75w90 mobil 1 in diffs + transfer; redline for tranny.

Saw this on a different board via google fwiw:

"Owners manuals are very confusing sometimes. Most 75W-90 gear oils are synthetic and most straight weights and 80W-90 gear oils are mineral based. What they are trying to tell you is if the temps are above 0-F you can use a straight 90wt gear oil, but if you are going to see temps below 0-F to use a 80W-90 mineral gear oil. Your 75W-90 gear oils will cover a wider temp range, and will work a lot better in below 0 temps.

A good gear oil to use that you can probably find on the parts shelf of most parts stores in your area would be Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil. You do not have to add anything to it in case you have a limited slip/posi-track diff."

EDIT: here
Thank you.

Man this shat is confusing.. not to mention I'm a total tard.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you.

Man this shat is confusing.. not to mention I'm a total tard.
Yeah no kidding. Good luck! When I was looking into which oil to use everyone on here and ttora seemed to agree to just use 75w90. But the whole living in colorado thing makes it more complicated. I don't think I've ever driven the truck below 0. Probably the coldest was in the teens.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
To make it more confusingfor you.

Use 90-130
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
why 90-130?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #13

And where can I even find Amsoil if I want to look at that?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
You don't want too high a viscosity that the cold will turn it to sludge and won't protect the gears until you get them warmed up enough to not be sludge.

SWB = Short Wheel Base, rear diff capacity is 2.8 quarts
LWB = Long Wheel Base, rear diff capacity is 3.1 quarts

Front diff capacity is 1.22 quarts regardless.

You want to fill it up to about 5mm from the top of the fill hole.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Straight outta teh 2003 FSM for ya:

Shouldn't be much different than your year.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And where can I even find Amsoil if I want to look at that?
Check Their Website, They Don't Stock It In Stores, The Place I Go Only Has Amsoil.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have used 75W-90 valvoline Syn Power full synthetic for about 10 years in both diffs (w/ rear locker) X-case and tranny (manual). I buy it bulk off amazon for pretty cheap. I've never had an issue with any of these components. Fluid nazis always chirp about lucas or amsoil... if I was a competitive racer I might pay a huge premium for that extra 1% of performance
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
I have used 75W-90 valvoline Syn Power full synthetic for about 10 years in both diffs (w/ rear locker) X-case and tranny (manual). I buy it bulk off amazon for pretty cheap. I've never had an issue with any of these components. Fluid nazis always chirp about lucas or amsoil... if I was a competitive racer I might pay a huge premium for that extra 1% of performance
In your opinion do you think the cold temps of Colorado will have any effect on 75w90?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
curmudgeon

Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Straight outta teh 2003 FSM for ya:

Shouldn't be much different than your year.
Whoa. I had never heard of the 5mm deal. I thought it was fill until it starts pouring out???