Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trouble codes from 0301 to 0300

Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections
Name: Robert
04tacomarob's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble codes from 0301 to 0300

Truck had the P0301 code forever now, adopted the neglected truck from the wife. Was told the code started after a bad PCV valve was found.

Changed the plugs and all wires with OEM parts and correctly gapped all plugs to FSM requirements. Took it for a drive, took about a mile for the CEL to come on. Was not flashing from the way home to the parts house. New code is P0300, random misfire.

I don't remember if I read right but can the o2's cause this? Most of the solutions I have found have been air leaks in the intake, EGR, and PCV. Has anyone had experience chasing this and fixing it?

Just for some Shits and giggles here's the old plugs... Neglected haha

Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
exminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tony
exminnesotaboy's Tacoma Gallery
since you replaced the plugs wires, that would indicate an ignition coil. 301 = cyl#1, 302 = cyl#2, 303 = cyl#3, etc..... The 300 code is a general misfire.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exminnesotaboy View Post
since you replaced the plugs wires, that would indicate an ignition coil. 301 = cyl#1, 302 = cyl#2, 303 = cyl#3, etc..... The 300 code is a general misfire.
Ok, I'll start looking at those. Thank you.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Was there oil in one of the plug holes? It looks like there was. That'll cause the coil to short out and throw a CEL. You have to change the gasket on the plug tube. It comes as part of the valve cover gasket kit.
If you run it like that for too long it'll eventually kill the coil and you'll have to replace it to get the CEL to go away.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
Was there oil in one of the plug holes? It looks like there was. That'll cause the coil to short out and throw a CEL. You have to change the gasket on the plug tube. It comes as part of the valve cover gasket kit.
If you run it like that for too long it'll eventually kill the coil and you'll have to replace it to get the CEL to go away.
Yes it was in #4, thanks for that!

I liberated it from the wife so I have no idea how long it's been like that. She's had it since 07 and unfortunately it wasn't cared for that well.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Forgot to ask in my first post. Will running some seafoam clean valves off? It has a rough idle still and I think that at least one is gummed up.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seafood won't but seafoam will. But I would be willing to bet that coil is toast and that's what's causing your bad idle.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
Seafood won't but seafoam will. But I would be willing to bet that coil is toast and that's what's causing your bad idle.
Haha damn, you caught that before the edit

I'll change out those gaskets when I pull the money together for the coil.

Just to check it, is there a way to test the coils so I can see if I need to replace more than just that one?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Goodness... that middle plug looks like it was used as a rectal thermometer.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Goodness... that middle plug looks like it was used as a rectal thermometer.
Hahahaha, if I didn't see where they came out from I would have been a little iffy with it :screwy:
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #11

The FSM probably has a procedure for checking them with a volt meter. TTora used to have all the FSMs up but I can't find them anymore.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
If either of you want the FSM, I can send you a link via PM
Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
If either of you want the FSM, I can send you a link via PM
That would be much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #14

That would be great...thanks