Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Total newbie needs help

Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
JMBismyHomeBoy is on a distinguished road
JMBismyHomeBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Total newbie needs help

Hi guys,

I have a 98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 168k mi. My CEL has been on a while...the issues being the throttle position sensor (P0120) and the idle air control valve (P0505).

I am wondering how serious these are - will it hurt my taco to keep driving with the issues?

I doubt I can fix these myself w/o some serious guidance (I would like to learn - I don't want to waste a lot of time & money and screw it up even worse). All I know how to do is change my oil...

What would it cost to have these issues fixed by a competent shop? I am in the Los Angeles area...can anyone recommend a shop anywhere in LA/OC that is good to go?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a video for the TPS at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhvswc_au4M

It's not too hard and the part isn't extremely expensive so you could probably do that yourself. I have the same exact truck and similar miles and my TPS crapped out a while back so must be a common problem lol

Here's a video for cleaning an ACV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpIg-WkwOY

The ACV looks to run about $140.
I just did a quick google search to find these and haven't done either personally but they don't seem too hard to do. Would save you a bit of money to do it yourself but others may have to chime in. I'm not sure if it will hurt the truck or not to keep driving it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
JMBismyHomeBoy is on a distinguished road
JMBismyHomeBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Thanks for the info and videos!

Can anyone else chime in on what kind, if any, damage I'm doing to my truck by continuing to drive with these warnings?