1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Total newbie needs help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JMBismyHomeBoy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    JMBismyHomeBoy

JMBismyHomeBoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,

I have a 98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 168k mi. My CEL has been on a while...the issues being the throttle position sensor (P0120) and the idle air control valve (P0505).

I am wondering how serious these are - will it hurt my taco to keep driving with the issues?

I doubt I can fix these myself w/o some serious guidance (I would like to learn - I don't want to waste a lot of time & money and screw it up even worse). All I know how to do is change my oil...

What would it cost to have these issues fixed by a competent shop? I am in the Los Angeles area...can anyone recommend a shop anywhere in LA/OC that is good to go?

Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Here's a video for the TPS at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhvswc_au4M

It's not too hard and the part isn't extremely expensive so you could probably do that yourself. I have the same exact truck and similar miles and my TPS crapped out a while back so must be a common problem lol

Here's a video for cleaning an ACV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpIg-WkwOY

The ACV looks to run about $140.
    I just did a quick google search to find these and haven't done either personally but they don't seem too hard to do. Would save you a bit of money to do it yourself but others may have to chime in. I'm not sure if it will hurt the truck or not to keep driving it.

3. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    JMBismyHomeBoy

JMBismyHomeBoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info and videos!

Can anyone else chime in on what kind, if any, damage I'm doing to my truck by continuing to drive with these warnings?

Products Discussed in

To Top