LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hauling a motorcycle in a short bed double cab....

Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Your putting words in my mouth I didn't even say. I NEVER once said I use only an extender to haul my motorcycle. I said it HELPS to have one to prevent it from rocking back IN THE EVENT your tow straps come loose or loosen up. My trips consist of 400+ mile trips, and of course I strap everything in correctly I've hauled more bikes than your age, but I also don't drive with my eyes in the rear view mirror 100% of the time on long road trips, which are mostly at night. As far as it being structural, if you knew anything about physics you'd know that when the bike is in the back of the bed, its center of gravity is full forward, not full aft, so the structural loads are no where near the rear of the tail gate. The straps hold the bike in place, the extender is just an added margin of safety.
Ah, one of those "I've been doing this longer that you've been alive" types...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha. Well makes sense.

If I backed the bike in the truck, and had the front wheel on the tailgate....?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Andrew,
Personally I say ride to the rally, but I am more of a purist. Looks like just under 900 miles so 2 days to get there doing 450 miles per day. We used to do 400 miles in about 8 hours going there but I can do the same 400 miles in 6.5 hours with no one following. My wife rides her Sporty all day long and loves it, even loaded for the rally.

As for places to stay in Sturgis, if you are camping I recommend the Rush-no-more campground. It has lots of trees for shade, which a lot of campgrounds do not and it is at exit 37 off 90 and exit 32 is one of the ways to downtown Sturgis. I have stayed there 6-7 times.

Sorry I can't help much on the haul your bike issue, but feel free to PM me for ideas about what to do when you go.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikoloa Tacoma View Post
Andrew,
Personally I say ride to the rally, but I am more of a purist. Looks like just under 900 miles so 2 days to get there doing 450 miles per day. We used to do 400 miles in about 8 hours going there but I can do the same 400 miles in 6.5 hours with no one following. My wife rides her Sporty all day long and loves it, even loaded for the rally.

As for places to stay in Sturgis, if you are camping I recommend the Rush-no-more campground. It has lots of trees for shade, which a lot of campgrounds do not and it is at exit 37 off 90 and exit 32 is one of the ways to downtown Sturgis. I have stayed there 6-7 times.

Sorry I can't help much on the haul your bike issue, but feel free to PM me for ideas about what to do when you go.
Yeah. We are leaning more towards campin. Thanks for the tip! Definitely going to look into rush no more. My wife says camping is apart of the experience. Does your wife ride on the back of yours? I'm having issues with the Mrs being comfortable. I bought a sissy bar, helped. But she's having issues with her feel falling asleep. And every time she hits a bump she screams. And he says her vagina goes numb. Haha. She got new foot pegs from a friend of hers. But she they look like they belong on a big dresser or something. Big and flat... I really think they are going to look like shit.. It's my bike not hers.... But happy wife happy life right?

Ever hear of a butt buffer?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
My quality of living standards are low. Was going to stap a tent to the back of the bike if all else fails.
If you're really interested PM me. I was kinda kidding but could probably make something work. My place is under construction but has 2 couches left in it I think. The guy moving in with me for next semester has a house too, not sure if he's sold it yet. I'm gonna try to go out there for the first weekend of the rally and possibly could meet up with anyone else out there (just in the taco, I don't think I'll drag my ninja out there just to get made fun of by the Harley guys I get to ride all those roads the rest of the year when there isn't so damn many other bikes )

As for your original question, my suggestion is just to measure everything. I'm sure my bike is shorter than yours and would just barely fit in my bed with the tailgate down, but I have a toolbox that eats about 2 ft of bed space. Never tried it, but from my measurements it would fit straight and I wouldn't have to angle it. I just bought a trailer instead.

The tent trailer is kinda a crapshoot. It seems to me their tongues are much shorter than say a boat trailer or my utility trailer for turning with the tailgate down. I've seen a combo pop-up in the back with a utility bed on the front, you could try finding one of those. They seem neat.

Anyway good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hahaha. Well makes sense.

If I backed the bike in the truck, and had the front wheel on the tailgate....?
I don't think it would make a difference, plus it would be a biotch to load! Keep in mind, I'm in a 2nd Gen and they're known for having weak tailgates. the picture on the page before, notice I didn't use plywood for my bike but it only weighs in at 465 wet. If the tire is actually on the tailgate, I'd use the plywood, if it's like mine where it's at the back edge of the bed, but sticks out just enough so you can't close the tailgate, I wouldn't bother because the load is still being supported by the bed.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The mrs and I are tossing around the idea of going to sturgis this year with the harley... Well I'm pretty sure all the hotel rooms are probably booked up already.. And way over priced. Was thinking about renting a casita camper to tow behind the truck and putting the sportster in the bed.... Big 1 million dollar question is Will it fit? Would I have to fabricate some type of steel plate to extend the length of the bed? Put it at an angle to clear the wheel well humps? Maybe fabricate some type of winch system for easy loading unloading? Would this work? The harley weighs 556lbs dry... Is that too much weight to put in the bed and pull a camper?
My vote would be to skip Sturgis until you are 40+ years old, unless you are going for the concerts. If you are going for the "party" just think of it as geriatric spring break and you won't be disappointed. I was stationed at Ellsworth and went three years in a row before I got tired of being the youngest person there. If you want to take a trip to the black hills (highly recommended) go a week after Sturgis ends, you can buy all the Sturgis crap for 70% off and avoid the insane traffic.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. We are leaning more towards campin. Thanks for the tip! Definitely going to look into rush no more. My wife says camping is apart of the experience. Does your wife ride on the back of yours? I'm having issues with the Mrs being comfortable. I bought a sissy bar, helped. But she's having issues with her feel falling asleep. And every time she hits a bump she screams. And he says her vagina goes numb. Haha. She got new foot pegs from a friend of hers. But she they look like they belong on a big dresser or something. Big and flat... I really think they are going to look like shit.. It's my bike not hers.... But happy wife happy life right?

Ever hear of a butt buffer?
She used to ride on the back but decided she liked being in control. When she was on the back I had a sissy bar and a touring seat so she was comfortable. She would get sleepy and chew gum or we would stop for a few minutes and have some water. As for her butt getting numb, yeah happens to all of us, part of the experience. Again stop, then offer to massage it, to help with circulation of course .
Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
I don't get it
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #32

Normally I rent a casita. From tinker AFB it's only $130 for a 3 day weekend
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #33
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
How about renting a toy hauler? I dont know how much they weigh or sizes available or even if they rent toy haulers, its just an idea that may solve your problem.
Except that he needs to find a place to park the camper, and with bike week only 2 months away campground space for a big camper is becoming scarce.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Neat View Post
Except that he needs to find a place to park the camper, and with bike week only 2 months away campground space for a big camper is becoming scarce.
True. I'd imagine there would be room for a tent
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #36

If I do rent a camper... There is always Walmart parking lot. Walmarts are rv friendly. Ours here even has water hook ups
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #37
hg11 is on a distinguished road
hg11's Tacoma Gallery
May be a bit late to this one but a good way to save your tailgate is to slide a 6X6 under the frame rails of the bike, takes all the weight off the gate and makes a solid platform for the bike.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone do this with a sportster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids View Post

My 460lb KTM made it in ok. You may want to look into a tailgate reinforcement plate though.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
se7enine will become famous soon enoughse7enine will become famous soon enough

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just leave a motorcycle ramp in the bed to help strengthen it?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #40
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts are that if it will fit length wise you can haul it. I have hauled a 550 pound bike in my old 86 Toyota truck with no problems. Hook your tie downs where they are pulling down and forward toward the cab. The bike must be tied down where there is absolutely no movement in any direction.