Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

This is Why i dont use a torque wrench!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
stinkyspice's Tacoma Gallery
This is Why i dont use a torque wrench!!!

i know u should tourqe you crap down but u know tight then a nice tug once more is good enough for me, when ever i have used a torque wrench this has happened!! i hate them with a passion!!!! this thing got so stretched out!!

thanks god for a friends come along set!! and my local shop imm saved my ass again had an extra bolt for me!!
seriously saved my ass..
i was installing the top nut and snap!! mother #$@@ piece of s*** stupid torque wrench!!!

i know people always say torque your crap down but i aint ever using one again!!

got the icons installed smooth as butter lover em!!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Did you torque it way past spec?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know how to set a torque wrench ?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
You're doing it wrong...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Was there a bunch or rust or sand or something on the threads/ were the threads damaged, misthreaded in the bolt hole. Were you supposed to be using inch pounds and used foot pounds?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
theres a difference between in-lbs and ....... ft-lbs
Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootter14 View Post
And was the tq wrench calibrated?? (Not to insult ur intelligence)

what make is the tq wrench.

to what spec are you attempting?

are you using in/lbs, ft/lbs or nm?

when was it last calibrated?

are you gradually tightening? or Jerking it to get it to click? (like your op says)

does it even click?

ive never had quality hardware snap before tq spec. each bolt, at specific grade/make/thread/pitch has a breaking point. you can google to find out what a ROUGH estimate is. nothing is exact until you do it yourself.

always store your tw wrench at lowest setting, or right below, but not bottomed out. it stretches the tq rod making it inaccurate.

ninja edit: i have had this one for a while now, use it almost daily. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=675227

here is the big boy i have. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

have the right tool for the job...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Do you know how to set a torque wrench ?
This ^^^

And if not stored properly you could cause the calibration to be off.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
This ^^^

And if not stored properly you could cause the calibration to be off.
^ This is why we store our torque wrenches at work to the lowest setting. (not below or bottomed out)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
i torqued all three bolts and it was clicking just fine and i started doing the last one i was like what the crap this is taking way to long to get tight and just as i was about to stop snap!! ive just always had bad experiences with torque wrenches and i set it to 35 ft pounds. as that was stated on another forum for those bolts.
i know that a torque wrench is a very important tool just venting lol this is not the first time this has happened lol... my grandpa say he always hate those things. just do it the old fashion way son haha im going to start listing to him. or be more cautious when im using one. it stretched the bolt out until it snapped
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
what make is the tq wrench.

to what spec are you attempting?

are you using in/lbs, ft/lbs or nm?

when was it last calibrated?

are you gradually tightening? or Jerking it to get it to click? (like your op says)

does it even click?

ive never had quality hardware snap before tq spec. each bolt, at specific grade/make/thread/pitch has a breaking point. you can google to find out what a ROUGH estimate is. nothing is exact until you do it yourself.

always store your tw wrench at lowest setting, or right below, but not bottomed out. it stretches the tq rod making it inaccurate.

ninja edit: i have had this one for a while now, use it almost daily. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=675227

here is the big boy i have. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

have the right tool for the job...
and i have all snap on tools but not my torque wrench i was using its a buddys i thinks its craftsman. was working just fine untill the last one. should have stopped torquing down sooner it was telling me to stop lol i didn't listen to the tool.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyspice View Post
i torqued all three bolts and it was clicking just fine and i started doing the last one i was like what the crap this is taking way to long to get tight and just as i was about to stop snap!! ive just always had bad experiences with torque wrenches and i set it to 35 ft pounds. as that was stated on another forum for those bolts.
i know that a torque wrench is a very important tool just venting lol this is not the first time this has happened lol... my grandpa say he always hate those things. just do it the old fashion way son haha im going to start listing to him. or be more cautious when im using one. it stretched the bolt out until it snapped
just doing it the german technique (gutin-tite) is how people get hurt. just look on here for the famous failed hardware lower ball joint from lack of torque, or over torque.

did you clean the threads inside and out? use a light lube like a 30w oil, NOT WD40.

in complete honestly i couldnt tell you when the last time i snapped a bolt was. And i work on semi trailers 60hrs/wk.

"working fine" unfortunatly is not a method of measure. its a good idea to get them tested yearly. its free on any tool truck. as far as getting it calibrated, thats where it can get pricy, so if you have a cheap unit its just worth replacing.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Was there a bunch or rust or sand or something on the threads/ were the threads damaged, misthreaded in the bolt hole. Were you supposed to be using inch pounds and used foot pounds?
threads were clean threaded just fine not cross threading.. it came out very easy once i got it drilled out. and i was 35 foot pounds as i read somewhere else that that was the spec for the bolts
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
You're doing it wrong...

^^^^^
yep.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
just doing it the german technique (gutin-tite) is how people get hurt. just look on here for the famous failed hardware lower ball joint from lack of torque, or over torque.

did you clean the threads inside and out? use a light lube like a 30w oil, NOT WD40.

in complete honestly i couldnt tell you when the last time i snapped a bolt was. And i work on semi trailers 60hrs/wk.

"working fine" unfortunatly is not a method of measure. its a good idea to get them tested yearly. its free on any tool truck. as far as getting it calibrated, thats where it can get pricy, so if you have a cheap unit its just worth replacing.
maybe ill have to buy a snap on one!!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no offense, but along with a torque wrench, you must apply common sense. if you're twisting it hard enough that it snaps.... well, i'm sure you have enough common sense to know the rest of that sentence.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
no offense, but along with a torque wrench, you must apply common sense. if you're twisting it hard enough that it snaps.... well, i'm sure you have enough common sense to know the rest of that sentence.

thats the thing it didnt even feel like the bolt was tightening down at all was easy as pie that's why i kept going..... live and learn
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Some bolts are defective
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats the thing it didnt even feel like the bolt was tightening down at all was easy as pie that's why i kept going..... live and learn
you're working out too much!

live and learn... yes. agreed and that's great advice to live by!!!