Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locker Confusion

Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
02TacoTK is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
02TacoTK's Tacoma Gallery
Locker Confusion

I'm new to the off road world, and I'm looking to put a rear locker in my 02 Tacoma 4wd (non-TRD). I've searched this forum for a while now, and I'm fairly confident I want to go with an Aussie-Type setup. I see guys on here with First Gen saying they have Aussies in the rear, but when I go to their website, it only has the option for the front. Do these product interchange between front and rear, or does Aussie not make a locker compatible for the back?

I've searched for a while now and it seems like I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if Aussie makes a rear or front locker or what not, but the 1st gen uses a 7.5 front diff, and the non trd uses the Tacoma, t100,'8.4' (not actually 8.4' ring gear but that's what it's called).
Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
LOW.LIGHT.WIDE
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
Your other option to the Aussie would be the Richmond lock-rite. Same design, same function. Get a hold of ECGS....Thats where I picked mine up. Works great
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you are brand new to off-roading, I wouldn't make a locker your first upgrade. You may not like the way it behaves, and its an expensive mistake.

Tires, lift, armor, CB first. Get some experience, then you'll appreciate what a locker, and low gearing, does.

IMHO, a guy with properly aired-down tires, and skillful driving will do better than a beginner with a locker.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
02TacoTK is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
02TacoTK's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input guys.
I guess I should've explained that I've driven off road plenty, but have always been more into car builds myself. I've just never built my own rig for offroad and wasn't quite sure where to start.

I'll definitely keep this in mind when making out a list for my project.

Thanks for all the help!