Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

96 4cyl, lacks fuel to start in warm weather

Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
weldway is on a distinguished road
weldway's Tacoma Gallery
96 4cyl, lacks fuel to start in warm weather

I'm trying to help someone out. There 94 tacoma has the smaller of the two 4 cyl engines I think. It only has about 150,000 milrs on it and its been treated pretty good all its life. A shop put a new starter in it last year. I think its a new napa starter. Since then, when the temperature outside reaches about 90 degrees, the pick up doesn't really start soon after it has been running. In other words, if you park the pick up and go into the store, you will have to wait about 45 min from the time you turned it off to restart it if its a warm day. If you try to start it w/in that 45 min time, it will sound like its not getting any fuel. This all began when the starter was changed. I changed the fuel filter, but the one I took off was clean anyway. It was brought back to the shop and complained about, the shop put in a new water temp sensor I believe, but no improvement. I told the driver when you cant start it, pump the throttle a little. But the driver tells me that it's makes the problem even worse when that is done. My suspicion is that the starter that was put in may not crank as quite many rpms as the orig starter possibly. When I listen to the starter crank, its a healthy nice sound that I'd think is adequate. I also thought possibly there is some sort of fuel pressure or leakage going on. It starts fine immediately after running it on a day when the weather isn't hot. If it were a chevy I might be able to figure it out myself. I'm hoping I can get some suggestions or clues from you people on this. I'm kind of obligated to get this fixed. Any posts would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
weldway's Tacoma Gallery
I made a mistake, its a 1996
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel pump maybe?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Different year and different engine, but I had a similar problem and it was a dirty MAF. It's a cheap thing to try, cleaning the MAF sensor; just make sure you use dedicated MAF sensor cleaner and don't touch it.

Also, when mine wouldn't start, I'd push the pedal all the way to the floor, hold it there, and then crank it until she started (didn't take long). Maybe you can try that as a workaround until you clean the MAF sensor.

Any chance there is a TRD, K&N or other washable air filter in there? They tend to dirty up the MAF sensor sooner.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
weldway's Tacoma Gallery
Since I made this thread, I've found several articles of people w/ the same problem. It sounds like polishandwax.com is the right track. I read that the K&N filters dirty up the maf sensor. I also read that unplugging the air sensor will help get it started. Can anyone say for sure that replacing the air sensor fixed the problem? I'm going to start off by doing what polish&wax.com said to do. I also read the maf sensor is delicate, and easily damged. I'm kinda of unclear, but it sounds like theres some wires in it that are real delicate. This pickup is going to show here tonight, and i have the next couple days to work on it. I'll probally be asking a couple more questions here in next couple days. For starts, can anyone describe how to clean the maf in a safe manor? I looked on youtube, but didnt see anything , thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldway View Post
Since I made this thread, I've found several articles of people w/ the same problem. It sounds like polishandwax.com is the right track. I read that the K&N filters dirty up the maf sensor. I also read that unplugging the air sensor will help get it started. Can anyone say for sure that replacing the air sensor fixed the problem? I'm going to start off by doing what polish&wax.com said to do. I also read the maf sensor is delicate, and easily damged. I'm kinda of unclear, but it sounds like theres some wires in it that are real delicate. This pickup is going to show here tonight, and i have the next couple days to work on it. I'll probally be asking a couple more questions here in next couple days. For starts, can anyone describe how to clean the maf in a safe manor? I looked on youtube, but didnt see anything , thanks.
Just spray the heck out of it and the whole area with dedicated MAF cleaner (after removing the assembly). If my memory serves my correctly, the actual sensor is tiny thing on the end of a wire almost in the center of the tube that you remove. But you'll have plenty of cleaner, so just clean everything. The sensor should change color as you clean it.

My recommendation is DO NOT TOUCH IT with anything else. Although some say they have safely swabbed it, I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't wipe anything anywhere near it.

Let it dry real well before reassembling and turn the piece in several directions to make sure any pooled cleaner comes out.

Mine did give me some grief for a few minutes afterwards, but I think that was just until the computer adapted to having a clean sensor again. After about 15 minutes of run time, it never gave me any more problems. If yours still does, disconnect the battery for a little while to reset the computer.