Notices

Tokico Shocks?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
sull625 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dave
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
Tokico Shocks?

I have tokico shocks on my front end w/ stock coils and rancho (unsure which ones exacty) on the rear. The front has a rev tech spacer lift. I'm wondering if I should dismantle it all and get something else or if this is a decent setup. Let me know what you all think.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sull625 View Post
I have tokico shocks on my front end w/ stock coils and rancho (unsure which ones exacty) on the rear. The front has a rev tech spacer lift. I'm wondering if I should dismantle it all and get something else or if this is a decent setup. Let me know what you all think.
Before you get flamed for not searching, your best bet is to dump your current setup & depending how much you are willing to spend, you could set yourself up with Bilstein 5100's in front & Bilstein 5125's for the rear for a little over $300.00 Add a leaf or 2 to the rear springs puts you at $400 & change...You would be very happy with results, a good quality susp. upgrade with not a lot of out of pocket expense...
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say that your current setup is horrible... it's just that there are better options. And I'd go on to say that the tokico shocks aren't the reason for this. Your front spacer lift isn't ideal. Doing a suspension lift is always better.

That being said, tokico makes a decent product. They're manufacturer whose aim is primarily towards the OEM replacement market. They tend to be more popular in the "sport compact car" scene than the off road market.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find the compressed/extended lengths of your shocks. If they spec out well for eibach springs(and I suspect they will), I'd buy a set of eibachs for up front and run the shocks until they die. After that, then you can get 5100s or which ever shock you choose.

Just my opinion
Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers blow chunks ,period.. I'm not trying to hurt his feelings, I'm being honest...You've got him buying coils for an inferior shock that may or may not even work on (I'm betting it won't)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Law Enforcement:
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
Well damn that's what I thought people would say. Guess ill dismantle and sell off what I have here and grab some new shocks, coils and leafs. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Spacers blow chunks ,period.. I'm not trying to hurt his feelings, I'm being honest...You've got him buying coils for an inferior shock that may or may not even work on (I'm betting it won't)
First, what about the tokico is so inferior? Not everyone needs a remote res nitro charged shock. In fact I don't... and i crawl some serious trails. Second, who said they don't fit? Tokico makes shocks that fit a 3 inch lifted tacoma.

Finally, OP I've actually run tokicos in my rig before my current setup. On a 3" lift no less. They performed fine. They were gas-a-just shocks. Hytenor on TTORA has run them as well. Make sure that they are long enough for your intended lift. If they are, just run them.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Law Enforcement:
sull625's Tacoma Gallery
What am I looking at as far as amount of lift with the bilstien 5100 series?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
CBR1000RR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CBR1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with the 5100 set at zero with eibach springs it will give you approximately 3" of lift initially. And get the 2" AAl for the rear.