Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlights won't turn on

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights won't turn on

So headlights on my 1999 Tacoma won't turn on..
When i put the switch in on mode the tail lights and such will turn on but not the headlights.
When i put the switch in highbeam mode nothing still,
But when i Pull the switch backwards for momentary high beams the highbeams come on.

Not sure of the problem.
I'm thinking relay? But not 100 percent sure and don't have the wiring/fuse diagram for the motor fuse box.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Are you a member on TTORA? They have a lot of wiring diagrams on that website that i always reference back to.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

I am not, never joined since it was begining to die off. maybe i will though
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the sight is not near as busy/fun as TW but there is a wealth of information on there
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

definitely. I'll go check it out thanks man
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Actually it's probably the switch that shorted out. My friend had the exact same problem as you described, we tried everything, then replaced the switch and everything worked. They are notorious for going out. You can find non OEM headlight switches on eBay for about $50 bucks.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
I am not, never joined since it was begining to die off. maybe i will though
Die off!?... Maybe TTORA members are off wheeling, instead of web wheeling like you and I are.

As to your issue, check the bulb, then the connector's wires for torn sheathing, then the relay and finally the switch.

This is what I found and posted back in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasYOTA View Post
Most likely the headlamp stock switch.
Have him pull it and look at the connections - if he sees brown tint (darker than the copper) or black tint, the switch is bad and needs to be replaced.
He can find them online.

Forgot to show you what I mean...

Look at the terminals inside both the stock and steering column.

Yes... I had to replace mine, due to my battery shorting out one time.
The hard part was to make sure you only order what you see and not everything. Sorry forgot what the part number I used.
If I find it I will post it.