Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Driver Side knock/grinding

Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Driver Side knock/grinding

Noticed a knock a couple days ago while driving, progressively has gotten worse. Can feel it in the truck when it does it now. Seems to do it at random. Raised the rear end tonight and put it in gear. There is a noticeable grinding noise...with the tire off the drivers side comes to a stop while the pass side keeps spinning. Almost looks like it has a wobble as well. Any idea what's going on? Hoping it's something with the drums, and not something wrong with the axle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0Hdb_g09M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijy4v6hnMw
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked for / tested / felt any play in the axle shaft/bearing?

Have you spun the axle by hand to feel any rough spots or obvious things?

Have you looked at your driveshaft/ujoints for play / wear?

When was the last time you changed your diff fluid and lubricated your ujoints?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
Pull off your drums, and if nothing found, repeat your test
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Changed diff fluid not long ago...greased drive shaft at the last oil change. Thinking it's maybe just bad wheel bearings. Compared the sound to some on YouTube. I'm an hour away for work so won't be able to get back to it till this weekend.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHk...e_gdata_player

Gonna have to wait till next week to get it to a shop with a press. I'll be gone working all week again.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
don't slack with the wheel bearing. i thought i would be alright then this happened:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...oday-pics.html

i learned my lesson the hard/expensive way

dont drive until you get it fixed.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
don't slack with the wheel bearing. i thought i would be alright then this happened:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...oday-pics.html

i learned my lesson the hard/expensive way

dont drive until you get it fixed.
Holy shit. Yeah its been on jack stands for a week I wasn't gonna drive it. Thanks for the heads up though.