1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door Locks won't stay locked

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bmka87, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    bmka87

bmka87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    I've got a 97 SR5 ext cab and noticed this past weekend that my door locks weren't unlocking after shutting the engine off. After investigating into this a little more in depth, I noticed everytime I press the door lock button they lock for a second then pop right back up. If I hold down the door lock button, they stay down. Also, when I start the truck the locks do not automatically lock (like they used to). I tried using the key in both doors and using the drivers side I can lock both doors, but both pop right back up again.

I haven't had time to tear into anything yet (door panel or relays), because I was helping my gf move this weekend. It seems like to me that the door unlock button is constantly being pushed (even though I'm not physically pushing the button). Usually when I think the door unlock button (even when the doors are unlock) you can hear the actuator move to try and push the locks to the unlock position; but now nothing happens.

I've run all these scenarios through both the passenger and driver's side door lock buttons and get the same results, which would lead me to believe that it would be where both meet in a relay somewhere. I've searched through the forums and haven't found this problem (no grinding sounds or tough movement). If anyone has ideas on where to start searching it would be greatly appreciated.

If it is a relay, where would it be located and how do you check to see if a relay is bad?

Thanks for any help on this!

-Josh

2. Jun 10, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    Snorkie

Snorkie JEEP LYFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeep
    Rubicon
    Vehicle:
    Prius
    Bad door sensor or wire to it.

3. Jun 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    For both doors? Or would one bad door sensor interupt the circuit so it would mess up the whole system?

4. Jun 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    A shot in a dark, cause I don't really know much about electronics and I may be totally wrong, but may help in your search.

I know if you leave the key in the ignition and try to lock the doors (while they are open) they will unlock automatically. So maybe something to do with that in the ignition thinking the key is still in it?

5. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    I appreciate the input! Just a thought, if there was a problem with the ignition (thinking the key was in there) wouldn't that trip the alarm (beeping) when you open the door and leave the keys in the ignition?

6. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
  7. Jun 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    661prerunner

661prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    FabTech C/Os, Solo tubular UCAs (on order)Solo spindles(not installed) Glassworks front and rear, made by me Rocksliders, Premier Navi,
    I know I had a problem with the factory security system(if you have one) when i would turn on the radio or AC something else wouldnt work properly or the engine yould shut off Maybe or maybe not something you can look into

8. Aug 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Finally had the opportunity to tear into the issue this weekend. I bought and replaced the passenger side door jamb switch and door lock switch. Still no luck. It seems that if the key is out of the ignition everything works great, no issues (wasn't always the case). Once the I put the key in the ignition and lock the doors the locks pop back up. I ended up finding the FSM for the door lock system and am going to run through the door relay continuity checks. It seems like it's either the relay or something in the ignition wiring. The solenoids and the actuator seems to be in working order (a series of unplugging each and testing the locks, with the same result).

I do also have an aftermarket alarm system (I didn't put it in, thing sucks), but after having the alarm go off randomly throughout the night, I pulled the fuse right on the power line to the box. Haven't had any issues with that since then.

9. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    BigBoi

BigBoi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    St George, SC
    Vehicle:
    '00 SR5 V6 5spd ext. cab
    I have the same exact problem on my 2000 SR5. Doors won't stay locked for more than a second. Shits retarded. Im gonna take my ignition out and check it since it was put in about 6 hours before I bought the truck (previous owner was using a wooden key because his key broke off in the ignition and i told him to fix it)

10. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    bmka87

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Thatwhat ive narrowed it down to. Either the ignition of the relay. I have half a mind to take it somewhere and say don't install any of ur expensive parts but tell me what's broken.

11. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    BigBoi

BigBoi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    St George, SC
    Vehicle:
    '00 SR5 V6 5spd ext. cab
    Well go do that and tell me what to fix lol. I feel kinda dumb for putting a $3k system in a truck that I can't lock.

12. Oct 30, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    JCos327

JCos327 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7L SR5 5 speed 4x4
    LCE headers, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, 5100 Billestien front and back w/ add a leaf, Homertaco Grill, 275/70/R18 Toyo M/T, 18” XD Thump Wheels, AMP retractable steps, 10” Alpine Type S Sub and Amp, infinity door speakers
    Has anything come of this?

13. Oct 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    7 years old I have not seen any of these people

What is your problem ?

Products Discussed in