Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ignition is "iffy"

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipfields View Post
Dude, you're not going to believe this. I went out there with all my tools, ready to replace the starter. I had not purchased a starter, but was just looking to see what I was up against. Then I thought, what the heck, what could it hurt? I took a 2X4 like you said and banged on the starter about seven times. Got in the truck, turned the ignition, and it fired right up. Unbelievable. Thanks.
Like I said wouldn't have ya beat on yer truck for no reason..

& yeah , you'll eventually have to address the armature
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #22
chipfields is on a distinguished road
Army:
chipfields's Tacoma Gallery
You were right

Yeah, all you guys are right. Thought I had it fixed, and then when I got in the truck after playing golf...poof....just the clicking sound again (one click, not many). So, luckily, still had the 2X4 in the truck with me. Pounded on the starter, and it started. I am going to go by AutoZone this afternoon and pick up another starter, and attempt to replace it this Saturday. Oh, by the way, I got under the truck yesterday to just play around and see how hard this was going to be, and when I laid the wrench on the nut, sparks went flying. Then I read your posts again and saw where I have to disconnect the battery cables first!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #23
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipfields View Post
Yeah, all you guys are right. Thought I had it fixed, and then when I got in the truck after playing golf...poof....just the clicking sound again (one click, not many). So, luckily, still had the 2X4 in the truck with me. Pounded on the starter, and it started. I am going to go by AutoZone this afternoon and pick up another starter, and attempt to replace it this Saturday. Oh, by the way, I got under the truck yesterday to just play around and see how hard this was going to be, and when I laid the wrench on the nut, sparks went flying. Then I read your posts again and saw where I have to disconnect the battery cables first!
I highly recommend you slow down, get the manual, and do some reading first. Don't derp the easy shit.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If he hit the starter and that made it work then there is no doubt that it is the starter giving the trouble. If it would have been a loose connection then hitting the starter more than likely wouldn't work.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
If he hit the starter and that made it work then there is no doubt that it is the starter giving the trouble. If it would have been a loose connection then hitting the starter more than likely wouldn't work.
Did you bother reading any of the thread before you started typing?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Did you bother reading any of the thread before you started typing?
My bad. I got you and the guy who said something about loose connections mixed up. On my phone your avatar is just a toyota emblem and so is his. Then you said don't derp the easy shit, so I thought you were talking about checking for loose connections again. That is why I said that we already concluded that it's the starter.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
My bad. I got you and the guy who said something about loose connections mixed up. On my phone your avatar is just a toyota emblem and so is his. Then you said don't derp the easy shit, so I thought you were talking about checking for loose connections again. That is why I said that we already concluded that it's the starter.
All good brother, have a great weekend!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
No Money. No Love.
SmogSUX is on a distinguished road

SmogSUX's Tacoma Gallery
My battery terminals were tight, everything was good, so I rebuilt the starter like that thread posted above. The looked pretty worn...re-installed and had the same issue still. I pushed really hard on my battery terminals and the cable moved a tiny bit...that fixed it -_-