Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ignition is "iffy"

Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
chipfields is on a distinguished road
Army:
chipfields's Tacoma Gallery
Ignition is "iffy"

Can someone please watch this short video and tell me what is wrong with my ignition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPHxDi2ShI&feature=youtu.be
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
may be a bad starter
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Does it always click twice?

Make sure your battery is healthy and the connection is solid.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
1. Clean battery terminals and check connections
2. Get battery tested (free at any auto store) replace if necessary
3. Replace starter contacts and plunger. Super cheap and easy to do
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Probably some burn marks on armatuer, the clicking is the solenoid doing its job (its getting juice & passing it along to starter bendix) but theres no field being created to spin the starter, you can try cleaning all connections & ground points, probably won't help, get a wooden dowel or a piece of 2x4 & smack the starter a couple times (its sticking) also, in the end your problem is going to be in the start armatuer i'm betting
Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Starter definitely. I just replaced the starter on mine because it was doing that. i think it really is the starter solenoid but its not much more to replace the entire starter.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Starter definitely. I just replaced the starter on mine because it was doing that. i think it really is the starter solenoid but its not much more to replace the entire starter.
If its clicking (solenoid) its working from my experience, but yeah its in the starter
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Pannell_Trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Pannell_Trd's Tacoma Gallery
for sure sounds like a starter
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
If its clicking (solenoid) its working from my experience, but yeah its in the starter
I thought it could get weak and just not have enough power to engage the starter like it should?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
just have your starter rebuilt it's 1. cheaper 2. Still OEM. 3. better than anything from a parts store.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
I thought it could get weak and just not have enough power to engage the starter like it should?

The solenoid is a "dumb" device, its either open or closed (like a relay switch, I would think that if theres no clicking it means 1 of 2 things...theres no power getting to it, or theres power getting to it but no "clicking" (sign of operation) hence then the solenoid is bad & not allowing current to starter if silent..
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
The solenoid is a "dumb" device, its either open or closed (like a relay switch, I would think that if theres no clicking it means 1 of 2 things...theres no power getting to it, or theres power getting to it but no "clicking" (sign of operation) hence then the solenoid is bad & not allowing current to starter if silent..
That makes sense
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the same thing and it ended up being bad battery connections and a battery that was on its last limb
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Army:
average Joe

Is the starter something the average Joe can replace?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #16

Yes. It's very easy. I had mine out and laying on the ground in about 15 mins and I was doing it in the dark. There is 2 bolts holding it on and then one nut that holds the hot wire on. Once you get that loose, the starter pretty much falls out. I can't remember what size the bolts are but I want to guess that it is either a 12mm or a 14mm. I had to use a short socket and rachet on one bolt and then a wrench on the other. Oh and the starter is on the passenger side and the easiest way to get to the bolts is from underneath the truck.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its awkward to get at, not fun, but do-able. Do you have a set of metric wrenches and a metric socket set?

Be sure to eliminate the easier stuff first, like battery, cables, starter solenoid, etc. It'd be the shits if you went to all the trouble to replace the starter (or rebuild the solenoid) and you still have the problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Army:
Quote:
Probably some burn marks on armatuer, the clicking is the solenoid doing its job (its getting juice & passing it along to starter bendix) but theres no field being created to spin the starter, you can try cleaning all connections & ground points, probably won't help, get a wooden dowel or a piece of 2x4 & smack the starter a couple times (its sticking) also, in the end your problem is going to be in the start armatuer i'm betting
Dude, you're not going to believe this. I went out there with all my tools, ready to replace the starter. I had not purchased a starter, but was just looking to see what I was up against. Then I thought, what the heck, what could it hurt? I took a 2X4 like you said and banged on the starter about seven times. Got in the truck, turned the ignition, and it fired right up. Unbelievable. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipfields View Post
Dude, you're not going to believe this. I went out there with all my tools, ready to replace the starter. I had not purchased a starter, but was just looking to see what I was up against. Then I thought, what the heck, what could it hurt? I took a 2X4 like you said and banged on the starter about seven times. Got in the truck, turned the ignition, and it fired right up. Unbelievable. Thanks.
That problem won't go away. You'll get away with starting it like that for awhile, and then *poof* that trick won't work any more (it'll happen when it's snowing or freezing rain). You need to rebuild the starter or buy a new one.

I know this is for the 2.7, but it will be very similar to yours:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...fe-engine.html
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
check conections at starter make sure no oil on them or if they are loose. pull the starter and check the connections to the depress sensor on the clutch pedal.