Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Throttle Body Gasket mod?. 01 Tacoma

Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
oneguyonetaco is on a distinguished road

Name: James
oneguyonetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle Body Gasket mod?. 01 Tacoma

I pulled my intake and throttle body and cleaned them the other day. When I pulled my throttle body I noticed the Stock metal gasket covered a good portion of the hole. I decided I would grind the metal gasket to a complete circle and it seemed to really help.
Now I have looked on the forum for anything like it but found nothing. Does anyone do this to theirs?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen problems

In all seriousness though, good idea!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/trd-throt...gasket-166753/

Or you could buy the TRD part. It's supposed to be installed when adding a S/C anyways.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

I like taking things apart one time if possible. It was there I did it. Just thought I would share.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
I cut mine out and didn't notice a difference other than the intake whistles more. Which maybe why its there in the first place.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguyonetaco View Post
I pulled my intake and throttle body and cleaned them the other day. When I pulled my throttle body I noticed the Stock metal gasket covered a good portion of the hole. I decided I would grind the metal gasket to a complete circle and it seemed to really help.
Now I have looked on the forum for anything like it but found nothing. Does anyone do this to theirs?
They sell "O" gaskets. I think they're for the supercharged motors.

I think they're $4 at the dealer.

Scroll 3/4 of the way down. http://www.top4runners.com/ja/cleantb.html

Edit: nevermind... I should always read the thread before posting.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

I also have a sheet of gasket I could cut to size. I could also spend $4 on a "TRD" gasket and wait a week for it to get to my house but I didn't. The point is , I didn't know it was there as do some others like myself. My point in this thread was to allow people like me to know these things. There is no thread that I found talking about this gasket. As you can see in the pic of my truck, I like to leave my truck as stock as possible. This is a great thread in my opinion because its so easy to miss and it really helped my throttle response.
BTW I love TW.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I also have a sheet of gasket I could cut to size. I could also spend $4 on a "TRD" gasket and wait a week for it to get to my house but I didn't. The point is , I didn't know it was there as do some others like myself. My point in this thread was to allow people like me to know these things. There is no thread that I found talking about this gasket. As you can see in the pic of my truck, I like to leave my truck as stock as possible. This is a great thread in my opinion because its so easy to miss and it really helped my throttle response.
BTW I love TW.
Check the slack in your throttle cable also. When I did my MAF, TB cleaning and plugs/wires, it was the tightening of the slack in the throttle cable that made the world of difference to me.

Welcome to TW, btw
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah this has come up before, and people have swapped in the non-D-shaped supercharger gasket and not noticed a difference.

I would not change the gasket material, and would stick with the OEM metal crush gasket, which is very thin and not reusable. You don't want a leak there that could screw up your air-fuel ratio.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

Oh ya, I pulled the slack out on the cables. All the little things ad up in my opinion. My truck gets pretty damn good gas mileage.
Anyways, I personally am glad I did that to my gasket. A: It was fun B: Yes, It helped my throttle response, No Doubt. Mostly from a stop to go. Unfortunately I wish I could say I gained Ponies but I didn't, lol.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh ya, I pulled the slack out on the cables. All the little things ad up in my opinion. My truck gets pretty damn good gas mileage. Without squeezing every last drop out of the tank I'm at 260+/- miles per tank on my 31s.
Anyways, I personally am glad I did that to my gasket. A: It was fun B: Yes, It helped my throttle response, No Doubt. Mostly from a stop to go. Unfortunately I wish I could say I gained Ponies but I didn't, lol.
I can get 340-350 miles per tank on my 31s

Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

How in the world do you get that!!?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BTW I love TW.
That metal TB gasket is not reusable. It is a crush gasket with a small impressed ridge around the circumference. If you want to do this, just the the supercharger gasket .

IIRC, no one has achieved a demonstrable benefit (dyno data) from doing this.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #14

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

Downhill both ways in 5th at 45 mph on non-ethanol gas and 100 psi in tires and interior stripped out and no battery.

You dick. I need to change my fuel filter and then run several gallons of Techron through.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
^ that last comment
Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
trdtoy is on a distinguished road
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Not much is to be had with this mod on a na setup and likely more for sound reduction. With forced induction this will become more of a restriction and more power can be made with the "o" gasket vs the "d" gasket.