Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New to Tacomas, should I buy my buddy's truck?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Sighildr is on a distinguished road
Sighildr's Tacoma Gallery
New to Tacomas, should I buy my buddy's truck?

Hey all,

I'm brand new here. Have wanted a Tacoma forever but never really was in the market for one. I currently have a motorcycle only, and was planning to buy a beater so I could have 4 wheels until I save cash enough for a new Tacoma.

However my buddy just presented me with a deal. He just bought a new FJ for his wife, and the trade they offered on his Tacoma was apparently an insult. He said $3k and it's mine. The stats:

2000 Xtra Cab V6 2WD Automatic
260,000+ miles, mostly highway commuting
Bone stock otherwise
No wheeling

Took it to the local Toyota dealer (no reputable shops anywhere within an hour, I've tried and paid the price before. Valley Hi in Victorville, CA has always had a pretty good rep so that's where I took it). I had them do a pre-purchase inspection, here's what they came up with:

-cracked radiator $496
-Replace V Cover gasket due to major oil leak $651
-Recommended valve adjustment at that mileage since they were in there and it's never been done, I agree - $871 instead of the $651
-Fluids and Filters
-Leaking rear shock $290
-Timing belt and water pump inspection $556
-Replace spark plugs and wires 264

I know it doesn't NEED all of this, and some can be done at almost any shop cheaper, though the valve adjustment and timing belt I'd want done with certified Toyota mechanics with their warranty.

Also, I'm in CA and someone stole their catalytic converters. There are aftermarket ones on there for the last 4 years, so I doubt they'll pass smog. No CEL though. Will need to buy new aftermarket or OEM.

It's a dilemma. I've read a lot and know these trucks can go for more than 260k, though you don't hear of it super often. My buddy says he'll work with me on the price with some of the repairs. I've read a lot and this motor seems to approach legendary. I've checked out the buyers guide threads and all that, but I'd like your opinion because I don't know enough about these machines to make a qualified decision.

With the $3k plus over $2500 in repairs, not all necessary, would you buy this and how much life will I get from it? What's its worth? I'll likely keep it stock and use it on days I can't ride my motorcycle.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Look for rust on the frame, and in the rear of the frame in the C channel (the part thats not completely boxed).
Looking through the stuff you mentioned, lots of it can be done for cheaper. Everything except the radiator are things that should be done to any tacoma at that mileage. I recently had my V cover gaskets replaced, new plugs and wires, and all new belts.
Other guys will chime in with other stuff to look for.
If you can get pics, that would help.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Pass on it
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes for $1,200, tops or keep looking.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Buy it as a project, Buy all the parts needed to replace from rockauto.com or other discount sites using oem quality parts, Read up and watch videos and do the repairs yourself for 1/10 the cost of the dealer.

Profit from a near everlasting Tacoma for years to come.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
I've considered buying it as a project, but I only wanted to invest a lot into it if it was what I wanted exactly, mainly 4x4 manual. Otherwise I'd just like a long lasting fairly stock utility truck as an inclement weather escape. My big investment would be into a newer and lower mileage 4x4 manual, possibly even new.

I'll see what he'll do on the price, but considering he's a good friend and trying to hook me up, I don't want to insult him - nor do I want to invest in a liability.

Thanks for all the input guys! And I'll definitely check for rust, I just read that on the 1st gen buyer's guide.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I'd buy this truck for $2K, do the repairs myself and sell for $4.5K. I buy and sell for a living so I'm just giving you an idea of what's possible, if you can get it cheap enough. Good luck
Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Thanks for that, I appreciate the experienced opinion! Tacomas can go for a lot in my area. If I had the tools and the garage space (apartment) I'd buy it and work on it myself if for no other reason than to educate myself, but the investment in time and resources would be significant for me.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my 95.5 Tacoma SX in the fall of 2011 with over 250k for $3500... BUT, it was mint and well-maintained by my brother and myself since the truck was purchased new.

For the amount of parts alone you'll have to put into it (and its only a 2wd), $3000 is way too much to pay. If you are savvy with a wrench than you could consider $1500-2000, and you're doing your buddy a favor.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Thanks all, I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. If he decides on a whim to drop it to $1500-$2000 then I'll probably take it off his hands, but I think that's around what they offered him as a trade-in. I'll tell him to post it up on CL and wish him luck with it if he still wants $3k, because I'm sure someone out there would buy it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighildr View Post
Thanks all, I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. If he decides on a whim to drop it to $1500-$2000 then I'll probably take it off his hands, but I think that's around what they offered him as a trade-in. I'll tell him to post it up on CL and wish him luck with it if he still wants $3k, because I'm sure someone out there would buy it.
Tell him he's insulting you with his asking price

I wouldn't touch it for more than $1,500 and I'd only buy it as a project at that price.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Haha well he doesn't know it's an insult, money isn't really important to him at all so he might ju8st say fk it and let me have it way cheap. Even at that price though, like you said, it'd be a project. I'd rather take the cash and put it into a new and much lower mileage truck with everything I want in it.

Now to find one... they're rare here for good prices, I'm often very tempted to buy new.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Now to find one... they're rare here for good prices, I'm often very tempted to buy new.
For the prices used Tacos are going for I went straight to the lot and bought a new one. Why not have the benefit of a new/full warranty and treat yourself to that new car smell?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Ah the arguments I make as well, and it's hard to resist. I like to pay in cash though, so that's a ways off. I don't like being beholden for payments
Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Ah the arguments I make as well, and it's hard to resist. I like to pay in cash though, so that's a ways off. I don't like being beholden for payments
My interest is 4%, but the payments... Ouch!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I'd pass on it. Everything sounded pretty good until you read out that laundry list of repairs. It honestly sounds like a money pit, which as you know requires a lot of time, effort, and money. Ive seen ones in much better condition mechanically go for not much more. No thanks, let it go.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
When my 01 Tacoma was totaled it had 285k on it. Insurance paid out 10,800 for the truck and another 450 for the shell. Even with the maintenance you will probably still be in the black. You also can get most of the repairs done for much cheaper than the dealer would charge you. Just remember your gambling on a truck that has ALOT of miles. At this point something major can go out at any time.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Aaaaaand it's still on its first auto tranny... so I think I'm gonna pass. Thanks for the levity everyone.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
I would laughed in his face with that many miles.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Grease Monkey is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Grease Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down To buy or not to buy, that's the question?

Seems like the New Car Dealer knew what he was talking about when they priced out the trade-in.

Ask your buddy what that value was and maybe go from there. Seems like the estimated repairs were way way too high on most of the items.... $290 for a rear shock? WOW!