1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacomas, should I buy my buddy's truck?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sighildr, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Hey all,

I'm brand new here. Have wanted a Tacoma forever but never really was in the market for one. I currently have a motorcycle only, and was planning to buy a beater so I could have 4 wheels until I save cash enough for a new Tacoma.

However my buddy just presented me with a deal. He just bought a new FJ for his wife, and the trade they offered on his Tacoma was apparently an insult. He said $3k and it's mine. The stats:

2000 Xtra Cab V6 2WD Automatic
    260,000+ miles, mostly highway commuting
    Bone stock otherwise
    No wheeling

Took it to the local Toyota dealer (no reputable shops anywhere within an hour, I've tried and paid the price before. Valley Hi in Victorville, CA has always had a pretty good rep so that's where I took it). I had them do a pre-purchase inspection, here's what they came up with:

-cracked radiator $496
    -Replace V Cover gasket due to major oil leak $651
    -Recommended valve adjustment at that mileage since they were in there and it's never been done, I agree - $871 instead of the $651
    -Fluids and Filters
    -Leaking rear shock $290
    -Timing belt and water pump inspection $556
    -Replace spark plugs and wires 264

I know it doesn't NEED all of this, and some can be done at almost any shop cheaper, though the valve adjustment and timing belt I'd want done with certified Toyota mechanics with their warranty.

Also, I'm in CA and someone stole their catalytic converters. There are aftermarket ones on there for the last 4 years, so I doubt they'll pass smog. No CEL though. Will need to buy new aftermarket or OEM.

It's a dilemma. I've read a lot and know these trucks can go for more than 260k, though you don't hear of it super often. My buddy says he'll work with me on the price with some of the repairs. I've read a lot and this motor seems to approach legendary. I've checked out the buyers guide threads and all that, but I'd like your opinion because I don't know enough about these machines to make a qualified decision.

With the $3k plus over $2500 in repairs, not all necessary, would you buy this and how much life will I get from it? What's its worth? I'll likely keep it stock and use it on days I can't ride my motorcycle.

2. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Look for rust on the frame, and in the rear of the frame in the C channel (the part thats not completely boxed).
    Looking through the stuff you mentioned, lots of it can be done for cheaper. Everything except the radiator are things that should be done to any tacoma at that mileage. I recently had my V cover gaskets replaced, new plugs and wires, and all new belts.
    Other guys will chime in with other stuff to look for.
    If you can get pics, that would help.

3. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Pass on it

4. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Yes for $1,200, tops or keep looking.

5. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Buy it as a project, Buy all the parts needed to replace from rockauto.com or other discount sites using oem quality parts, Read up and watch videos and do the repairs yourself for 1/10 the cost of the dealer.

Profit from a near everlasting Tacoma for years to come.

6. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    I've considered buying it as a project, but I only wanted to invest a lot into it if it was what I wanted exactly, mainly 4x4 manual. Otherwise I'd just like a long lasting fairly stock utility truck as an inclement weather escape. My big investment would be into a newer and lower mileage 4x4 manual, possibly even new.

I'll see what he'll do on the price, but considering he's a good friend and trying to hook me up, I don't want to insult him - nor do I want to invest in a liability.

Thanks for all the input guys! And I'll definitely check for rust, I just read that on the 1st gen buyer's guide.

7. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I'd buy this truck for $2K, do the repairs myself and sell for $4.5K. I buy and sell for a living so I'm just giving you an idea of what's possible, if you can get it cheap enough. Good luck

8. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Thanks for that, I appreciate the experienced opinion! Tacomas can go for a lot in my area. If I had the tools and the garage space (apartment) I'd buy it and work on it myself if for no other reason than to educate myself, but the investment in time and resources would be significant for me.

9. Jun 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    I sold my 95.5 Tacoma SX in the fall of 2011 with over 250k for $3500... BUT, it was mint and well-maintained by my brother and myself since the truck was purchased new.

For the amount of parts alone you'll have to put into it (and its only a 2wd), $3000 is way too much to pay. If you are savvy with a wrench than you could consider $1500-2000, and you're doing your buddy a favor.

10. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Thanks all, I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. If he decides on a whim to drop it to $1500-$2000 then I'll probably take it off his hands, but I think that's around what they offered him as a trade-in. I'll tell him to post it up on CL and wish him luck with it if he still wants $3k, because I'm sure someone out there would buy it.

11. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Tell him he's insulting you with his asking price :)

I wouldn't touch it for more than $1,500 and I'd only buy it as a project at that price.

12. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Haha well he doesn't know it's an insult, money isn't really important to him at all so he might ju8st say fk it and let me have it way cheap. Even at that price though, like you said, it'd be a project. I'd rather take the cash and put it into a new and much lower mileage truck with everything I want in it.

Now to find one... they're rare here for good prices, I'm often very tempted to buy new.

13. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    For the prices used Tacos are going for I went straight to the lot and bought a new one. Why not have the benefit of a new/full warranty and treat yourself to that new car smell?

14. Jun 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Ah the arguments I make as well, and it's hard to resist. I like to pay in cash though, so that's a ways off. I don't like being beholden for payments :)

15. Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    My interest is 4%, but the payments... Ouch!

16. Jun 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd pass on it. Everything sounded pretty good until you read out that laundry list of repairs. It honestly sounds like a money pit, which as you know requires a lot of time, effort, and money. Ive seen ones in much better condition mechanically go for not much more. No thanks, let it go.

17. Jun 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    EDJY

EDJY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    When my 01 Tacoma was totaled it had 285k on it. Insurance paid out 10,800 for the truck and another 450 for the shell. Even with the maintenance you will probably still be in the black. You also can get most of the repairs done for much cheaper than the dealer would charge you. Just remember your gambling on a truck that has ALOT of miles. At this point something major can go out at any time.

18. Jun 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Sighildr

Sighildr [OP] Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    In The Market
    Aaaaaand it's still on its first auto tranny... so I think I'm gonna pass. Thanks for the levity everyone.

19. Jun 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    I would laughed in his face with that many miles.

20. Jun 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Apahe junction
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Seems like the New Car Dealer knew what he was talking about when they priced out the trade-in.

Ask your buddy what that value was and maybe go from there. Seems like the estimated repairs were way way too high on most of the items.... $290 for a rear shock? WOW!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top