Notices

Irregular idle, help?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
Irregular idle, help?

Hey guys, havin another lil problem with my taco, i was wondering if y'all could help me out.

my truck's idle is acting up. it started maybe.. 2 weeks ago? i'd start the truck and it would rev, and then shut off. start it again and it would run just fine if i pushed the gas a lil.

that went away, and now my idle is high. cold, it ranges from 1200 to 2000. warm will range between 1000, and 2000. sometimes it will sit at 1000, i'll hit the gas and come to a stop, and it will sit at 1500, and it's even sat at 2000 a few times. i'm used to it idling at about 650-750 warm and about 1100-1300 cold. higher if the ac or defroster is turned on.

it's irregular, regardless of how i drive it, or the weather conditions. it was about a quart and a half low... i just had the oil changed yesterday, but the problem is persisting. any ideas?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
really? no one has had this issue before? It's getting worse... i'm not sure where to start
Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the IAC is broken..Is there a CEL?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
No, the cel isn't on. that means no code... so what's the deal? is there a way to check? people have told me it could be either the tps, or the iac... but i don't know how to verify it without spending the $388 to replace them both
Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4X4 is the guy you want working on this but my 97 2.7 did that and it was the throttle positioning sensor.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle position sensor..........that's my answer to all idle problems......it's a good place to start anyway. Disconnect it, clean it with electrical parts cleaner, wiggle it a bit, re-attach and see if that helps.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
get a new gasket for the iac............and one for the throttle body. take them off and clean them, then put them back on and see what happens.

by the way............................still got them damned coils dude!! what happened to ya???
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Sounds like a bad tps, try cleaning the IAC before you replace anything, but it does sound like the TPS is bad
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

See, It could be Either the IAC or the TPS, both will give similar symptoms....
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm gonna feel dumb when I hear the answer, but what is an IAC?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Idle Air Control valve.

I'd seafoam it first. Been known to smooth many an errant idle.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
idle air control valve......under the throttle body.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Idle Air Control.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

ok...don't feel so dumb now...wouldn't have guessed it.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #15

IAC inspection:
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repa...vwoet/insp.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repa...cvwoet/ovi.pdf

Replacement:
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repa...vwoet/remo.pdf
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #16

looks like that is what the TPS sensor attaches to......am I right?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #17

TPS
Check:
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repa...rbodwe/ovi.pdf

Removal:
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repa...bodwe/remo.pdf
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #18

My last post made me look dumber than I really am.....please disregard.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
lol... i cleaned both the tps and the idle control, made things worse (idled at 2000) then i hit it witht he seafoam, and the problem went away. it drops slower than it did before, but rests happily at 750. funny thing though, i fixed the idle, and now my alternator light is on. i doubt it's related... but still. i thought this was a toyota. damnit
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #20
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
and as for those coils... i sent the check.. someone cashed it, i assumed they got lost in shipping. i'm a lil broke right now.. lookin for a job again. if you still have them when i get paid again, i'll gladly take them off your hands