Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spare tire in roof basket ideas

Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Spare tire in roof basket ideas

I'm looking in relocating my spare tire to my roof basket. I spent sunday adding extra support to the bottom and have several ideas as to tie down the spare (ratchet straps, j-hook and wing nut) anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion is : Don't do it.

It will raise your center or gravity (more likely to tip over in off-camber conditions).
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in this as well. I'd like to be able to carry an extra spare up there. My main concern, as Tan4X4 pointed out, is raising the center of gravity. My camper shell is 3 inches taller than my cab as it is. The top is at about 6'6".
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
My suggestion is : Don't do it.

It will raise your center or gravity (more likely to tip over in off-camber conditions).
X2...

not to mention it's a bitch to unload and load that tire up there...
especially if it's bigger then stock.

Had a friend that got a flat on the trial once.
Was just a 33"... but If I wasn't there to help assist...
the fubar'd tire would have never made it back onto the rack.

Unloading wasn't too difficult...
just pushed it over the side...
would have sucked if it had took a bad bounce tho'

I say neh on the racks and top heavy chit if you wheel yer junk.
But to each their own
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
X2...

not to mention it's a bitch to unload and load that tire up there...
especially if it's bigger then stock.

Had a friend that got a flat on the trial once.
Was just a 33"... but If I wasn't there to help assist...
the fubar'd tire would have never made it back onto the rack.

Unloading wasn't too difficult...
just pushed it over the side...
would have sucked if it had took a bad bounce tho'

I say neh on the racks and top heavy chit if you wheel yer junk.
But to each their own
and you'll just be adding a sail for the wind to catch and decrease your mpgs. ideal place to put is on a swing out arm that is just after the tail gate. keeps it out of the wind and from getting hung up while wheeling
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that the OP is aware of the issues mentioned, because obviously the extra weight up high will change the COG, and increase wind resistence and be more difficult to get to when needed. Yet still he wants to do it, that is his prerogotive, he's looking for suggestions for mounting.

J-hook/wingnut combo is the right idea but not secure enough IMO. I would weld a plate with a large captured nut to the floor of your rack and use a large diameter threaded rod with a T-handle to bolt it to the basket.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for your input! As Adam said i have considered all the issues mentioned but may scrap the project only because after fitting my stock spare in the basket i realized that i will only have enough room (side to side)in the basket for the 265's im runnimg now and not 285's i will get when these wear out.