Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone running 255/85/r16's?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running 255/85/r16's?

I'd like to run this size tire on my 02 Taco. So I want to see some pics, and what lift you used to fit these.

-Brian
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
puddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Retired
Name: Kris
puddle's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post6361050

Post 9 has a pic
Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
Thanks!!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
requires axle work
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
requires axle work
Are you saying that i'll need a lift, if so I already know that. But axle work? As in chromoly axle shafts or something like that, i'm going to have to disagree.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
how much lift depends on how much cutting you want to do. even with 2-2.5 inch of lift, which is perfect for these trucks IMO, your going to have to cut some plastic and hammer the pinch weld up front. no clue about the back.

235/85/16's fit stock without rubbing and arent bad with a mild lift. rim specs are more important for looks.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
how much lift depends on how much cutting you want to do. even with 2-2.5 inch of lift, which is perfect for these trucks IMO, your going to have to cut some plastic and hammer the pinch weld up front. no clue about the back.

235/85/16's fit stock without rubbing and arent bad with a mild lift. rim specs are more important for looks.
Yeah I was planning on doing the 5100's + Eibach springs up front and in the rear I was gonna throw in some new leaf springs (not sure which ones yet). For a 2" lift or so. The wheels I have are 16"x8", 0mm offset, and 4.5" backspacing.

Edit: That truck looks pretty good, any more pics?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Yeah I was planning on doing the 5100's + Eibach springs up front and in the rear I was gonna throw in some new leaf springs (not sure which ones yet). For a 2" lift or so. The wheels I have are 16"x8", 0mm offset, and 4.5" backspacing.
no weight in the front, youll be 3"-3"+ from my understanding. im biased and a big fan of OME after my experience with them and that is what i would recommend. you can get the coils that will give you 2" too.

EDIT i cant tell if you have an ARB or just a little bull bar on your truck. if ARB eibachs should be good.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
no weight in the front, youll be 3"-3"+ from my understanding. im biased and a big fan of OME after my experience with them and that is what i would recommend. you can get the coils that will give you 2" too.

EDIT i cant tell if you have an ARB or just a little bull bar on your truck. if ARB eibachs should be good.
Yeah I have an ARB without a winch, and the 5100's are already on my truck hence the interest in the Eibachs.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Yeah I have an ARB without a winch, and the 5100's are already on my truck hence the interest in the Eibachs.
I see, yea seems as though thats the obvious choice. i would assume youll have the right amount of lift then but still need to do minor trimming. only way to for sure tell is to put the tires on and see where it is rubbing.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
This is pretty much what you have to do:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html

I still rub with stock wheels at full lock. Only really happens when parking. Planning on putting spacers on soon enough.

You have to cut the pinch weld and cut some of the flares in back.

I am running 883 springs out front with deavers in the back. I had to install timbrens, because I was getting too much rubbing when hauling a full load with passengers.

This is full flex with no rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone running 255/85/r16's?-photo-8-copy.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
I see, yea seems as though thats the obvious choice. i would assume youll have the right amount of lift then but still need to do minor trimming. only way to for sure tell is to put the tires on and see where it is rubbing.
Yeah very true. I am good friends with someone who works at an offroad shop so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
255/85 R16 Owners Experience

Matt
Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
This is pretty much what you have to do:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html

I still rub with stock wheels at full lock. Only really happens when parking. Planning on putting spacers on soon enough.

You have to cut the pinch weld and cut some of the flares in back.

I am running 883 springs out front with deavers in the back. I had to install timbrens, because I was getting too much rubbing when hauling a full load with passengers.

This is full flex with no rubbing.
Thank you for that link and all the info.

The current wheels I have do stick out farther than the factory wheels so I should have that on my side.

What are Timbrens? And where did you cut the back flares, any pics of that?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Thank you!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you for that link and all the info.

The current wheels I have do stick out farther than the factory wheels so I should have that on my side.

What are Timbrens? And where did you cut the back flares, any pics of that?
Timbrens are oversized bumpstops.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runnertimbren.htm

If your wheels stick out past your flares you might end up crunching the flares as you flex.

I trimmed the the front side of flares where it wraps under the wheel well. I could get some pics for you. From my research it seems each persons cutting out back is a little different. This has to do with where you bed is positioned and what leaf springs you are running. Deavers relocate the axel to a center position, where as some brands do not.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Edit: That truck looks pretty good, any more pics?
Yes. hundreds of them. I wont whore it out here though here is a link to a recent trip. lots of pictures in there of it, along with my favorite first gen on the site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...04-imnaha.html
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
Timbrens are oversized bumpstops.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runnertimbren.htm

If your wheels stick out past your flares you might end up crunching the flares as you flex.

I trimmed the the front side of flares where it wraps under the wheel well. I could get some pics for you. From my research it seems each persons cutting out back is a little different. This has to do with where you bed is positioned and what leaf springs you are running. Deavers relocate the axel to a center position, where as some brands do not.
Ah gotchya. I've read that the Deavers are the better spring because of that axle relocation. I'm still up in the air as far as what leaf springs i'm going to go with but i'm leaning more and more towards the Deavers.

Quote:
Yes. hundreds of them. I wont whore it out here though here is a link to a recent trip. lots of pictures in there of it, along with my favorite first gen on the site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...04-imnaha.html
Awesome! Your truck looks really good.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Ah gotchya. I've read that the Deavers are the better spring because of that axle relocation. I'm still up in the air as far as what leaf springs i'm going to go with but i'm leaning more and more towards the Deavers.

Awesome! Your truck looks really good.
Thanks. took a lot of trial and error to get it to where it is. New rims would really help the stance.