Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone running 255/85/r16's?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running 255/85/r16's?

I'd like to run this size tire on my 02 Taco. So I want to see some pics, and what lift you used to fit these.

-Brian
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Member
puddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Retired
Name: Kris
Joined: Jan 2013, #94618
Location: Paso Robles, Ca.
Gender: Male
Posts: 38
puddle's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post6361050

Post 9 has a pic
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post
Thanks!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
lucky73's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2010, #39253
Gender: Male
Posts: 664
lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
requires axle work
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
requires axle work
Are you saying that i'll need a lift, if so I already know that. But axle work? As in chromoly axle shafts or something like that, i'm going to have to disagree.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
m3bassman's Avatar
Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
Joined: Jan 2011, #49376
Location: On the seven seas!
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,550
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
how much lift depends on how much cutting you want to do. even with 2-2.5 inch of lift, which is perfect for these trucks IMO, your going to have to cut some plastic and hammer the pinch weld up front. no clue about the back.

235/85/16's fit stock without rubbing and arent bad with a mild lift. rim specs are more important for looks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
how much lift depends on how much cutting you want to do. even with 2-2.5 inch of lift, which is perfect for these trucks IMO, your going to have to cut some plastic and hammer the pinch weld up front. no clue about the back.

235/85/16's fit stock without rubbing and arent bad with a mild lift. rim specs are more important for looks.
Yeah I was planning on doing the 5100's + Eibach springs up front and in the rear I was gonna throw in some new leaf springs (not sure which ones yet). For a 2" lift or so. The wheels I have are 16"x8", 0mm offset, and 4.5" backspacing.

Edit: That truck looks pretty good, any more pics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
m3bassman's Avatar
Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
Joined: Jan 2011, #49376
Location: On the seven seas!
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,550
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Yeah I was planning on doing the 5100's + Eibach springs up front and in the rear I was gonna throw in some new leaf springs (not sure which ones yet). For a 2" lift or so. The wheels I have are 16"x8", 0mm offset, and 4.5" backspacing.
no weight in the front, youll be 3"-3"+ from my understanding. im biased and a big fan of OME after my experience with them and that is what i would recommend. you can get the coils that will give you 2" too.

EDIT i cant tell if you have an ARB or just a little bull bar on your truck. if ARB eibachs should be good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
no weight in the front, youll be 3"-3"+ from my understanding. im biased and a big fan of OME after my experience with them and that is what i would recommend. you can get the coils that will give you 2" too.

EDIT i cant tell if you have an ARB or just a little bull bar on your truck. if ARB eibachs should be good.
Yeah I have an ARB without a winch, and the 5100's are already on my truck hence the interest in the Eibachs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
m3bassman's Avatar
Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
Joined: Jan 2011, #49376
Location: On the seven seas!
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,550
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Yeah I have an ARB without a winch, and the 5100's are already on my truck hence the interest in the Eibachs.
I see, yea seems as though thats the obvious choice. i would assume youll have the right amount of lift then but still need to do minor trimming. only way to for sure tell is to put the tires on and see where it is rubbing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
abunch is on a distinguished road
 
abunch's Avatar
Name: Andrew
Joined: Dec 2011, #69030
Location: Brooklyn
Gender: Male
Posts: 221
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
This is pretty much what you have to do:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html


I still rub with stock wheels at full lock. Only really happens when parking. Planning on putting spacers on soon enough.

You have to cut the pinch weld and cut some of the flares in back.

I am running 883 springs out front with deavers in the back. I had to install timbrens, because I was getting too much rubbing when hauling a full load with passengers.

This is full flex with no rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone running 255/85/r16's?-photo-8-copy.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I see, yea seems as though thats the obvious choice. i would assume youll have the right amount of lift then but still need to do minor trimming. only way to for sure tell is to put the tires on and see where it is rubbing.
Yeah very true. I am good friends with someone who works at an offroad shop so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
CanisLupus's Avatar
Firefighter:
Name: Matt
Joined: May 2011, #56826
Location: Northern Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,136
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
255/85 R16 Owners Experience

Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
This is pretty much what you have to do:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html


I still rub with stock wheels at full lock. Only really happens when parking. Planning on putting spacers on soon enough.

You have to cut the pinch weld and cut some of the flares in back.

I am running 883 springs out front with deavers in the back. I had to install timbrens, because I was getting too much rubbing when hauling a full load with passengers.

This is full flex with no rubbing.
Thank you for that link and all the info.

The current wheels I have do stick out farther than the factory wheels so I should have that on my side.

What are Timbrens? And where did you cut the back flares, any pics of that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
Senior Member
abunch is on a distinguished road
 
abunch's Avatar
Name: Andrew
Joined: Dec 2011, #69030
Location: Brooklyn
Gender: Male
Posts: 221
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Thank you for that link and all the info.

The current wheels I have do stick out farther than the factory wheels so I should have that on my side.

What are Timbrens? And where did you cut the back flares, any pics of that?
Timbrens are oversized bumpstops.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runnertimbren.htm

If your wheels stick out past your flares you might end up crunching the flares as you flex.

I trimmed the the front side of flares where it wraps under the wheel well. I could get some pics for you. From my research it seems each persons cutting out back is a little different. This has to do with where you bed is positioned and what leaf springs you are running. Deavers relocate the axel to a center position, where as some brands do not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
m3bassman's Avatar
Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
Joined: Jan 2011, #49376
Location: On the seven seas!
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,550
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Edit: That truck looks pretty good, any more pics?
Yes. hundreds of them. I wont whore it out here though here is a link to a recent trip. lots of pictures in there of it, along with my favorite first gen on the site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...04-imnaha.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road
 
Swimmerboy2112's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2011, #67737
Location: Walnutport, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
Timbrens are oversized bumpstops.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runnertimbren.htm

If your wheels stick out past your flares you might end up crunching the flares as you flex.

I trimmed the the front side of flares where it wraps under the wheel well. I could get some pics for you. From my research it seems each persons cutting out back is a little different. This has to do with where you bed is positioned and what leaf springs you are running. Deavers relocate the axel to a center position, where as some brands do not.
Ah gotchya. I've read that the Deavers are the better spring because of that axle relocation. I'm still up in the air as far as what leaf springs i'm going to go with but i'm leaning more and more towards the Deavers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Yes. hundreds of them. I wont whore it out here though here is a link to a recent trip. lots of pictures in there of it, along with my favorite first gen on the site
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...04-imnaha.html
Awesome! Your truck looks really good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
m3bassman's Avatar
Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
Joined: Jan 2011, #49376
Location: On the seven seas!
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,550
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Ah gotchya. I've read that the Deavers are the better spring because of that axle relocation. I'm still up in the air as far as what leaf springs i'm going to go with but i'm leaning more and more towards the Deavers.



Awesome! Your truck looks really good.
Thanks. took a lot of trial and error to get it to where it is. New rims would really help the stance.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
255/85 R16 Owners Experience rsbmg Wheels & Tires 2500 12-17-2014 03:22 PM
New shoes 255/85-r16 Jeffh1199 Wheels & Tires 24 10-12-2014 08:55 AM
255/85/R16 spare? Pearcem87 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 06-01-2013 05:24 PM
255/85/r16 or smaller for my truck Ermine Wheels & Tires 7 10-16-2011 09:47 PM
WTB: 255 85 R16 Tires XGR50.2 Buy / Sell / Trade 0 03-26-2010 02:34 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.