Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying Opinions on 2004 Taco?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Tacos N Salsas is on a distinguished road
Tacos N Salsas's Tacoma Gallery
Buying Opinions on 2004 Taco?

So a guy at my office has a nice little 2004 Double Cab TRD pick-up and that has power locks/windows as well as an automatic transmission. He is the original owner and is only at ~96,000 miles. It has yet have the timting belt replaced but after looking at it the truck is almost near damn good condition. It's never been off-road or taken any hard abuse and only has a little rock chip on the front. So I asked him if he would be interested in selling it and he tells me yes? How much? He told me I can take it off his hands for $16,000. So my question is......is it worth it?

Also, are there any issues these trucks have as the miles pile on? Especially being an automatic?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Daily Driver "Plus"
smuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud ofsmuook has much to be proud of

Navy: 24 years Active Duty
Name: Frank
smuook's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 or prerunner?

Good year (same as mine ), low miles, no issues with my auto tranny @125k now. Change all belts, water pump, and regular maintenance and you'll be good for another 100k.

As for price, that's just too much money. You can get a newer truck for that price. Try talking him down... Factor in the timing belt change in negotiation. I'd offer $12,000-ish.

Biggest potential issue is frame rust, depending on where you live.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to talk him down. I paid 16,000 for mine at a used dealer with 72,000 miles, power everything and in near pristine condition with a leer cap. 4x4 trd auto.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuook View Post
4x4 or prerunner?

Good year (same as mine ), low miles, no issues with my auto tranny @125k now. Change all belts, water pump, and regular maintenance and you'll be good for another 100k.

As for price, that's just too much money. You can get a newer truck for that price. Try talking him down... Factor in the timing belt change in negotiation. I'd offer $12,000-ish.

Biggest potential issue is frame rust, depending on where you live.
It's a 4x4 and the truck is located in Colorado. I had the hunch that he was over charging. I don't know why people try to become millionaires when selling cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
You might be able to talk him down. I paid 16,000 for mine at a used dealer with 72,000 miles, power everything and in near pristine condition with a leer cap. 4x4 trd auto.
What year did you buy your truck in? Prices fluctuate from year to year to don't they?

EDIT: The truck is extremely good condition though so does this play a factor in the value of the truck? No rust, no body damage, mechanically sound.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Just got it 3 months ago
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good truck

Ya, work with him on price. Should be probably around $14k for that...
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
According to KBB, that truck is worth $16,399 in excellent condition and $15,899 in very good condition.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Supply and demand. Is it worth it to YOU and what are your alternatives? Only you can answer that question. You didn't specify if it was a 4x4, etc.

That being said, I purchased an 04 extra-cab with about 35K miles (about two years ago) for $16K (or $16.5K, can remember). It can also vary depending upon location/region.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
There really isn't an alternative. I've had my sights on these trucks for a while now and the yes the truck is a4x4 quad cab. It's also located in Colorado.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos N Salsas View Post
There really isn't an alternative. I've had my sights on these trucks for a while now and the yes the truck is a4x4 quad cab. It's also located in Colorado.
love the four doors... I miss my last 4 door and and not happy with and access cab. the good news is, you get first dibs - so just tell him you want it and are serious and to not sell it to anyone else (give you first option). look around at what they are going for (market rate) and offer him that (or plus a little on top for giving you first option). in addition, you have access to better info on the purchase, meaning you know it's history (if you trust this guy to be telling you the truth) - versus buying off a lot or from someone you don't know.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos N Salsas View Post
Offer no more than 14.5, justify that with all of the regular maintenance you're going to need to do (belts, timing, water pump, filters, fluids, brakes, etc) which his truck will soon require due to mileage and age. If he bites, good for you!

If you're really itching to own it you can go higher, but the goal here should be you getting a good price for a good product. Bargains are out there, you just have to find them.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
He's WAY too high.

I just recently paid $14460 for mine with 14500 miles on it
V6 4WD TRD SR5 Auto
Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn38ms View Post
He's WAY too high.

I just recently paid $14460 for mine with 14500 miles on it
V6 4WD TRD SR5 Auto
Do you think you just got a super good deal for yours that would be hard to come by? Keep in mind the truck is in Colorado so I would assume that they pull a premium there.