Notices

Surging Throttle not just on idle

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Idiot abroad
Mishael is on a distinguished road
Name: Mishael
Mishael's Tacoma Gallery
Surging Throttle not just on idle

So I'm driving this evening on the freeway going about 75 about 20 minutes into my 45 minute drive and I'm going up a hill so I shift into 4th to climb, something feels off and I'm losing speed, figured I just hit a gust of wind so shift into 3rd, still losing speed and I don't hear my engine, pull over, and as I pull onto the shoulder I notice all of my indicator lights have come on and sure enough, my engine stalled. Stop, sit for a second, Brake, neutral, clutch, turn key. Starts then dies almost instantly. Does this about 6 times even if im viciously pumping my gas pedal to try to keep it alive, still ends up stalling after starting fine and lasting a whole half second.

I looked at everything, couldn't figure out what could be the cause of this problem. Not only have i never seen this problem before, I couldn't even figure out any possible causes for this specific phenomena. I figured I'd just try flicking my throttle twice with my engine off. Did that, turned the key, and it started right up and stayed running as if nothing had happened. I gave it some gas, revved it for a bit, then let it settle back down as i closed my hood and texted my dad that my truck was running again. Didn't notice anything odd with the engine, so I go on my way and think nothing of it. I get off the freeway and i notice my engine is surging when i shift and when I'm in neutral at a stop right away, and its done that ever since.

The weird...It does it all the time under acceleration, cruising, decel, or idle. At first I thought bad IAC but it does it all the time, so I figure it couldn't be that.

30k miles into 100k plugs
checked air filter, was in backwards (thanks Belle Tire) but is the right way now
Hoses seem fine, but I won't rule it out
My idle has been noticeably low for a while and causes an annoying shake but its been like that for a few months now ever since the new plugs back like 7 or 8 months ago.