1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Typical Problems After 200K Miles?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by GradGirl, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Jun 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    GradGirl

GradGirl [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner
    First-time post! I've always lurked on Tacoma World to find out more about my truck, and it's always been a super useful resource, so thanks, guys!

I have a 2002 Tacoma PreRunner with about 210K miles on it. I'm also about to move away to graduate school approximately 2000 miles away. I would love to take my truck with me considering that I will need a vehicle for where I'm going, but I'm not sure if I can rely on my truck to get me there with so many miles on it.

I have had no problems with performance, and recently had it checked out for basics (like brakes, fluids, belts, stuff like that) with everything checking out. My question for you guys is, is there anything "notorious" that happens to the first generation Tacomas after 200K miles? A friend mentioned to me that the 4Runners and Tacomas have a tendency to blow the head gasket around 200K, which would be super lame if that happened while I was driving in the middle of nowhere.

I understand that every truck is going to be different depending on how hard it's handled or whether it's had regular maintenance, but if there is anything that seems to happen a lot around that mileage, any advice would be great! It would help me make a decision as to whether I can drive my truck or just buy a car once I get there (but we all know Tacomas are better) :)

2. Jun 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Should be good, just now broken in :D but I can't speak for a V6

3. Jun 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    possible tendancy that the V6 headgasket does go but thats usually do to neglect on the owner. Should do the headgasket when doing the timing belt...i sure as hell do.

4. Jun 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    ^could put in some head gasket sealer beforehand just to help prevent the off chance it would blow. Can't think of any predictable thing failing, but there probably will be some random little things that fail like a tps sensor or whatever

5. Jun 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The old 3.0 before the Tacoma (95) head gaskets were flawed and known to blow, but I've never heard this of the 3.4, which is pretty bombproof.

Just keep up with timing belt (and h2o pump) replacement every 90k miles (you should be on number 3 by now), and keep up with fluid and spark plug changes.

6. Jun 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    +1, my '02 is currently at 246.5K miles and it's still running like a champ. don't forget to service the transmission too.

7. Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Oh yeah! Sometimes the factory transmission cooler in the radiate has been known to leak coolant into it, put an aftermarket tranny cooler on it! And have it flushed

Products Discussed in

To Top