Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any Typical Problems After 200K Miles?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
GradGirl is on a distinguished road
GradGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Any Typical Problems After 200K Miles?

First-time post! I've always lurked on Tacoma World to find out more about my truck, and it's always been a super useful resource, so thanks, guys!

I have a 2002 Tacoma PreRunner with about 210K miles on it. I'm also about to move away to graduate school approximately 2000 miles away. I would love to take my truck with me considering that I will need a vehicle for where I'm going, but I'm not sure if I can rely on my truck to get me there with so many miles on it.

I have had no problems with performance, and recently had it checked out for basics (like brakes, fluids, belts, stuff like that) with everything checking out. My question for you guys is, is there anything "notorious" that happens to the first generation Tacomas after 200K miles? A friend mentioned to me that the 4Runners and Tacomas have a tendency to blow the head gasket around 200K, which would be super lame if that happened while I was driving in the middle of nowhere.

I understand that every truck is going to be different depending on how hard it's handled or whether it's had regular maintenance, but if there is anything that seems to happen a lot around that mileage, any advice would be great! It would help me make a decision as to whether I can drive my truck or just buy a car once I get there (but we all know Tacomas are better)
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
Should be good, just now broken in but I can't speak for a V6
Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
^could put in some head gasket sealer beforehand just to help prevent the off chance it would blow. Can't think of any predictable thing failing, but there probably will be some random little things that fail like a tps sensor or whatever
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
The old 3.0 before the Tacoma (95) head gaskets were flawed and known to blow, but I've never heard this of the 3.4, which is pretty bombproof.

Just keep up with timing belt (and h2o pump) replacement every 90k miles (you should be on number 3 by now), and keep up with fluid and spark plug changes.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
The old 3.0 before the Tacoma (95) head gaskets were flawed and known to blow, but I've never heard this of the 3.4, which is pretty bombproof.

Just keep up with timing belt (and h2o pump) replacement every 90k miles (you should be on number 3 by now), and keep up with fluid and spark plug changes.
+1, my '02 is currently at 246.5K miles and it's still running like a champ. don't forget to service the transmission too.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
+1, my '02 is currently at 246.5K miles and it's still running like a champ. don't forget to service the transmission too.
Oh yeah! Sometimes the factory transmission cooler in the radiate has been known to leak coolant into it, put an aftermarket tranny cooler on it! And have it flushed