Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any of you folks running ethanol free gas?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Any of you folks running ethanol free gas?

There's a local Chevron here that offers 90 octane, marine gasoline.

I picked up 1-2 mpg's per tank. (approx 40 miles per tank)
Offsets the extra 25 cents a gallon, and does not eff' up the entire fuel system...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
What did you pay per gallon? I want to do this, and I was thinking of using it in my lawn mowers and small engine stuff for landscaping.. Not thrilled about the prospect of e15 coming out
Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
90 octane E0 is $3.95

93 octane E10 is $3.70 per gallon
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
stvnshnn is on a distinguished road
stvnshnn's Tacoma Gallery
No ethanol

I run non ethanol in everything that take gas. But I live in Alaska and they only sell non ethanol gas here. So I don't know what the alternative would look like.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
in my parts the ethanol free is easily 40 cents more so i just skip it
Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Ethanol-free isn't even an option here
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I run 91 E0 and consistently get 20.5-22mpg; my highest ever being 23mpg
Compared to 18-19mpg; with 20mpg being the highest I ever got with 87 E10
I've got a 95.5 3.4 5speed

The member "maineah" will promptly be in here to tell everyone who claims to experience any benefit whatsoever with non-ethanol gas that they're delusional or don't know how to properly fill or tach a gas tank
and if they think ethanol has any adverse effect whatsoever they're a totally ignorant noob
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
http://pure-gas.org/

List gas stations around the lower 48 and Canada that sell ethanol free gas
Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

5 years ago the station at 75th and Arapahoe had E0 for around $0.10 more, not anymore.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
5 years ago the station at 75th and Arapahoe had E0 for around $0.10 more, not anymore.
Yeah, the Conoco at Jacob's Corner.

Used to buy there a bunch.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
There's one off of Santa Fe (down here south of Denver) that sells it. I buy it for my car mostly but do run it in the truck on occasion. The truck definitely likes it better.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have any ethanol free stations around here.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Around many big cities you can't get the "dino gas" due to air pollution regulations.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
Around many big cities you can't get the "dino gas" due to air pollution regulations.
It's pretty weak IMO considering you lose about 2-3 mpgs which means you're burning more gas to go the same distance, which of course means you're emitting more exhaust.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #16

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's pretty weak IMO considering you lose about 2-3 mpgs which means you're burning more gas to go the same distance, which of course means you're emitting more exhaust.

There's big money in corn subzidies.

Congress always follows the money.
If tailpipes emitting dog shit made money they would go for it...
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
A few months back I ran a full tank using ethanol free gas and only saw a gain of about 1/2 mile per gallon. Not worth the price difference to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #18
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
A few months back I ran a full tank using ethanol free gas and only saw a gain of about 1/2 mile per gallon. Not worth the price difference to me.
I didn't notice any difference until, at least, the 2nd Tank
I've been told (I'M NOT CLAIMING THIS TO BE TRUE, before I get flamed) that the ECU adjusts after a tank or two; and that's when you'll start to notice a bigger difference

So, maybe run a couple tanks in a row, before you rule it out
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
My parents own a boat marina and have a 2000 gallon ethanol-free 89 octane gas pump. I was curious to see the differences between that and the cheap 87 octane 10% ethanol gas I run. I ran my gas tank from full to empty twice and and got an average of around 22 mpg. I then ran ethanol-free gas from full to empty twice and got an average of 23 mpg.

I'm sure the ethanol-free gas has it's benefits, but with that small of a difference, I'm sticking to the cheap stuff.

As for all my lawn equipment and my parents' boat, we only use ethanol-free gas because those are things that aren't run all the time and ethanol deteriorates rubber after sitting for a while.

My 2 cents, anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
I didn't notice any difference until, at least, the 2nd Tank
I've been told (I'M NOT CLAIMING THIS TO BE TRUE, before I get flamed) that the ECU adjusts after a tank or two; and that's when you'll start to notice a bigger difference

So, maybe run a couple tanks in a row, before you rule it out

^I think this is somewhat true. I believe that the ECU controls the timing based on its narrow band O2 readings for knock prediction. So, better gas nets better power, which also nets better mileage for a given driving style.

One way to speed up the process is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. This will reset your ECU and it will optimize to fuel you have in the tank.