Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wiring 4 driving lights

Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
calebdnehus is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
calebdnehus's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring 4 driving lights

I just bought four 6 inch driving lights from harbor freight(on sale for $9.99 each--part #95811) and they each came in they're own package so they are separate lights. Since they came like that I was wondering if I needed to run each light off its own relay or if I could run multipul lights from one relay. Is that safe?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebdnehus View Post
I just bought four 6 inch driving lights from harbor freight(on sale for $9.99 each--part #95811) and they each came in they're own package so they are separate lights. Since they came like that I was wondering if I needed to run each light off its own relay or if I could run multipul lights from one relay. Is that safe?
Any pics of the lights?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Still in the box. They have a 6inch pig tail with a positive and a ground and that's all I got in the box
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring 4 driving lights-image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Do you need a picture of it out of the box?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
I'd go two to a relay, like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring 4 driving lights-foglite.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I would run 2 relays (1 for each set) and if you want have 1 switch controll them both
^Beat me to it
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's perfectly safe to run all 4 lights to a single relay. Total draw from all 4 lights is about 18.5A, most automotive relays are either 30 or 40A. The problem is, as mentioned above, if you wire all 4 to one relay, they're either all on or all off since they have to be controlled by one switch. I have 4 lights mounted to a light bar also but have 2 switches and 2 relays so I can control the inner pair separate from the outter pair.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Those are s&w great response and ideas. I'll go with the 2 relays so I can control each pair of lights independent of each other like mentioned. Thanks for the help! I'm in the process of finding or building a light bar for them, can anyone help with this?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
I would really like to build one but I'm having a hard time finding a mounting point behind the bumper
Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
You won't need an indicator light if the switch has one built in as most do now.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7enine View Post
You won't need an indicator light if the switch has one built in as most do now.
Sorry, should have mentioned that. The image I posted wasn't my drawing, just the first thing that came up on google.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
It's a really good map for wiring lights, thanks for the post
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
If you search the junk yards you can find everything you need for the wiring. I found a couple PIAA kits that are complete from switch to lights. Only about $10 or so for the wiring w/ relay.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those are s&w great response and ideas. I'll go with the 2 relays so I can control each pair of lights independent of each other like mentioned. Thanks for the help! I'm in the process of finding or building a light bar for them, can anyone help with this?
I really like my NFab light bar
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
I've looked up and down for an N-fab but they only make them for 95-97 and 01-04. They skip right over my generation
Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Finished the install today. Used two relays to switch the inside and outside independent. The girlfriends thinks it looks dumb. What do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Sorry. Forgot to hit upload
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring 4 driving lights-image.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
I still have aiming and tightening the lights down all the way to do. Saving that for another day though