Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

wanting to paint stock trd wheels.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
tacomaitus is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
tacomaitus's Tacoma Gallery
wanting to paint stock trd wheels.

OK... so I just got a Tacoma, and am wanting to paint the stock wheels black. I've heard of just painting them black and painting them with spray on bed liner the only problem is that they are pretty beat up. Can I maybe sand them down and then paint them or are they past repair? Any suggestions will help thanks
Attached Thumbnails
wanting to paint stock trd wheels.-img_20130613_180837_167.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You could have them bead blasted and powder coated. Just depends what you are going to do with the truck and what you want it to look like.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaitus View Post
OK... so I just got a Tacoma, and am wanting to paint the stock wheels black. I've heard of just painting them black and painting them with spray on bed liner the only problem is that they are pretty beat up. Can I maybe sand them down and then paint them or are they past repair? Any suggestions will help thanks
The "time & effort" YOU put into these will determine HOW they look...

My son did this as a "Gift" and the "prep" was good BUT he rushed the painting process and ended up doing it twice ...thumb prints show up real well in shiny black paint....

Those "painted" wheels are now 2nd's for a Vermont Taco....

If you take your time and are patient the results might just surprise you...
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
You could use paint stripper sold in auto parts stores and after fill in any deep scrapes with some permatex wheel repair. Sand smooth and paint.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Thanks for tip and the truck will probably see 30% of the rest of his life off road. All I am wanting is a good looking truck that will be aggressive off road when I need it to be.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
My wheels look the same, maybe even worse. I want to paint them matte black but I'm afraid of the prep lol. If you put the time in you could make it work very well, but I just don't have the time to do it as I don't have another set of tires or a vehicle to use while I'm painting.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
stinkyspice's Tacoma Gallery
I sanded and painted my wheels look at my build thread I used rustoleum paint came out real nice! If I were u I would go get them sandblasted and then paint em right after! That would be the way to go!!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
In your build thread you have the original 6 spoke wheels, not the one shown in the OP of this thread.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

So what exactly is sandblasting, does it work kinda like a pressure washer? Where can I do this and how much does it cost? And can I do it myself.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So what exactly is sandblasting, does it work kinda like a pressure washer? Where can I do this and how much does it cost? And can I do it myself.
It's pretty expensive to get the gear to do it, you need a big air compressor and a blast cabinet and blast media and such.. It should be $50 a wheel to get blasted. If you painted them right after it should turn out nice! Corrosion on Toyota alloys is a really common thing hah.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Wow...they probs aren't even worth that much each
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished repainting my alloys because I didn't do it right the first time. you don't need to sand blast. you can use heavy duty or metal sandpaper.
then use metal primer after that your choice in paint. I used rustoleum semi gloss black. but you can go today or high gloss
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh and to strip them of everything use Aircraft Paint Remover. And yes it's acid in a can so be careful
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Thanks a lot Mr. Biscuits that is what I will do, when I can get around to it. A wise man once said 99% of painting something is the prep. And the other 1% is to not screw it up
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks a lot Mr. Biscuits that is what I will do, when I can get around to it. A wise man once said 99% of painting something is the prep. And the other 1% is to not screw it up
very true.

get metal sandpaper or "heavy duty" by 3M. it's black/dark grey. not that tan shit, it can't take the abuse of sanding metal
Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
mcallahan 98 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
mcallahan 98 taco's Tacoma Gallery
if you want them to last i would go with sandblast and powder coat, it may cost a little more but will last much longer than paint. i have lots of experience with this as i work in an fab shop and we also powder coat and sandblast.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
I cleaned, sanblasted, primer and painted, all done by me.
Check my link for pics.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=39
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #18

I know it is a little rednecked, but I was thinking of spaying them with truck bed liner. Yes? No? It would fill in the little imperfections of the wheel, and it should be rather tough. right?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallahan 98 taco View Post
if you want them to last i would go with sandblast and powder coat, it may cost a little more but will last much longer than paint. i have lots of experience with this as i work in an fab shop and we also powder coat and sandblast.
I agree, the only thing is you have to remove the tire. not an option for po' folk
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
I agree, the only thing is you have to remove the tire. not an option for po' folk
True DAT