Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any ideas to reduce oil mess when changing V6 filter?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Any ideas to reduce oil mess when changing V6 filter?

I was thinking about cutting a water bottle in half to act as a ramp to keep
the oil flowing directly into the drain pan.

Any other ideas? What a bloody mess.

Do you folks remove through the wheel well or underneath?
I've tried both...
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When I owned my 96...

I removed thru the wheel. I did exactly what you mention.....a 2-litre bottle.
I used the cap end and cut it about 3" from the cap (keep it short).

Stuff the 2-litre bottle in there and allow the oil to drip in it and drop the filter in there also.

Kinda awkward getting it out....but better than nothing.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post

uh,no.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wrap the filter in a plastic shopping bag when unscrewing it to catch the oil that comes out of it. This is a 4 banger though, not really sure where your oil filters are located
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
He's talking about the oil filter.

+1 on fumoto though for simple clean drain.

OP, Some ideas:

-I read stabbing the end of the filter releases pressure and the oil flows back into the engine before removing it. I'm gonna try this method my next round.

-I also like the plastic shopping bag Idea MowTaco mentioned but it may be a little harder to accomplish on our V6.

-Oil filter relocation kit? There is a thread on this HERE.

I agree our filters are mounted in an awkward and messy angle deep in the engine and the skid plates get nasty over time.

I remove from the wheel well, makes the job easier to do in my case.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
scyota03 is on a distinguished road
scyota03's Tacoma Gallery
I just take the skid plates off when I change the oil in my v6 and just spray down everything with parts cleaner when I'm done
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the oil valve on, last week, and thinking about this, on the next oil change.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/a...bypass_filter/
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I reach in under the alternator from the top and remove it. You could buy a remote mount oil filter kit.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer to do the whole job from underneath, removing the skid plates (as a single unit) first.

To catch oil from filter removal, I generally put a disposable shop towel underneath the filter area, then put a small plastic food tub, like a salsa cup, underneath the filter before unscrewing it. The salsa cup is wide enough to drop the filter inside of it, and the sides of the cup are tough enough to bend and squeeze a little to pull it out of there when done.

You could likely use this same method through the wheel well.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Just take the filter off with a drip pan between the a-arm and oil pan. Clean up with carb cleaner. The angle of the filter doesn't help.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
I use a plastic shopping bag also to catch the oil and filter. for me it's a must to go through the wheel well to loosen the filter.. haven't tried stabbing the filter but might give it a shot next time

This is how I've been changing my oil for YEARS. Trust me, if you aren't doing the plastic bag method your doing yourself an injustice. This method is cheap, cost nothing, and is PURE GENIUS.

Products Discussed in this Thread