Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Serpentine Belts, Timing belt or Chain

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
robertcorda is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
robertcorda's Tacoma Gallery
Serpentine Belts, Timing belt or Chain

Hello new here my 04 Tacoma 2.4L is 10yrs with 70k. When should I replace my Serpentine belts they still look good no cracks or frays. Is my timing belt a belt or chain and do you really need to change your plugs every 30k or can you go longer?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Your 2.4 is chain driven. Considering the quality of fuels these days being so poor, I would suggest changing the plugs out at what the owners manual suggests it to be done.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yes on the plug change! EZ job on the four popper.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input and I did replace the plugs this weekend wasn't hard just had to push the air intake stuff out of the way. still looking for suggestions on the serpentine belts I can do it myself just looks like a real pain.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you have a serpentine belt (I know the 98 models do not have one).
There are 3 separate belts ( A/C, PS, and fan/Alt). Not that hard to replace.
The first 2 have idler pulleys that are backed off to loosen the belt enuf to remove, then tightened up again with the same idler pulley adjusters. The fan belt is remove by loosening the alternator adjuster bolt.

Of course you have to start with the outermost belt, and work your way in.

One of the first things that I did after I bought my used truck. Better than waiting for one to break while your on vacation, hundreds of miles from home.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^He is correct, I just did mine last week. This thread was perfect, follow everything he says and you'll be good
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-2-4-2-7l.html

The only thing I'd add is that I used a long ratchet extension and a hammer to beat on the tensioners to get them to loosen up (don't hit the pulleys, go behind them on the little block they mount to). I also ended up breaking the tensioner bolt on the power steering belt, so I've been rolling without it until I can find another bolt that'll work. Apparently this bolt they used is super rare or something, as I absolutely cannot find anything that would work.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
serpentine belts

your right I don't think they are serpentine belts there just flat belts with several grooves. Bought the belts online from olathetoyota wholesale: alt=23.56, ac=18.10, p/s=3.92 the local dealer Marin toyota wanted 40, 30, and 8 for the belts and 200 to install them what a ripoff. Also thanks for the link for the installation steps, nice photos.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
$200 isn't really that far out of line. They have to make a profit. It would take a couple of hours, and shop fees are around $80 per hour these days.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
shop fees

your right the shop fees are in line with today's shop rates I was referring to the parts markup.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcorda View Post
your right I don't think they are serpentine belts there just flat belts with several grooves. Bought the belts online from olathetoyota wholesale: alt=23.56, ac=18.10, p/s=3.92 the local dealer Marin toyota wanted 40, 30, and 8 for the belts and 200 to install them what a ripoff. Also thanks for the link for the installation steps, nice photos.
I went with Advance Autoparts ones... my only real option where I'm living right now, short from ordering them but I didn't want to wait. I might have to change where I shop though, Olathe Toyota is very close to where I'm from, funny that that's where you found them cheapest.