Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brighter tail light options

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Brighter tail light options

Just the bulbs that'll fit in my stock 04 oem tail lights.
Just curious if anyone can recommend a company or a certain type of light. Maybe led's?
Should have my rear plate bumper w/ tire carrier the end of the month and it has rear quarter panel protection that slightly hides the brake and bckup lights.

TIA
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post
Just the bulbs that'll fit in my stock 04 oem tail lights.
Just curious if anyone can recommend a company or a certain type of light. Maybe led's?
Should have my rear plate bumper w/ tire carrier the end of the month and it has rear quarter panel protection that slightly hides the brake and bckup lights.

TIA
I added elcheapo 18 wheeler led's to my bumper for the dark nights backing up trails. they are just enough to light everything up without blinding people in parking lots and draw so little current I spliced them right into each reverse light wire.

used a grinder

cost me about $45 for the whole project. I cracked one over a year ago and while it's taking on moisture it still works great to this day.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I added elcheapo 18 wheeler led's to my bumper for the dark nights backing up trails. they are just enough to light everything up without blinding people in parking lots and draw so little current I spliced them right into each reverse light wire.

used a grinder

cost me about $45 for the whole project. I cracked one over a year ago and while it's taking on moisture it still works great to this day.
Cool! Nice work!

My bumper actually has R.I. Diffused D2's in the light buckets. That're gonna be used as offroad bckup up lights only. They're over 6000 lumens, I'm interested in just brighter backups and brake lights in the stock tail lights. Used for on the road. Don't really want to un-necessarily blind people.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Just put some LED bulbs in then
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you pick up those leds? I am looking for a 3" set to go in my bumper
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Just put some LED bulbs in then
Haha yer sig is silly.

Can you point me to some leds somewhere?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post
Haha yer sig is silly.

Can you point me to some leds somewhere?
http://superbrightleds.com/
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Funny you mention this thread, I JUST changed out my tail lights to LED bulbs because I'm on hill country roads that tend to get a lot of fog in the early morning and most of the roads don't have any lighting. So I just changed the rear brake lights to some Red LED bulbs and man what a difference. Not only are they super bright, they give the truck a really modern look, all for $20 bucks.

Probably the best $20 bucks I've spent on the truck.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Funny you mention this thread, I JUST changed out my tail lights to LED bulbs because I'm on hill country roads that tend to get a lot of fog in the early morning and most of the roads don't have any lighting. So I just changed the rear brake lights to some Red LED bulbs and man what a difference. Not only are they super bright, they give the truck a really modern look, all for $20 bucks.

Probably the best $20 bucks I've spent on the truck.
Which ones did you get?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
Where did you pick up those leds? I am looking for a 3" set to go in my bumper

superbrightleds.com

I was wrong about the price.. the lights are $24 a pop + connectors.

Lights: ST series round truck lamp=ST-W30: White 30-LED $24
mounting grommet: GR-40 $1.49
plug: PL-3S Strait 3 pin $1.49

total shipped was $53.07 after discount - search online for discount codes - I got mine in 2011 so I'm sure my code "RE561" may not work.

they have tons of shit. also to anyone else you can mount these in your body panels if you wanna cut sheet metal.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...a--/62-1052--/
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies.

Ordered the brightest reverse and brake lights that'd fit in the in stock lenses and a 3rd brake light to attach to the rear somewhere. Total was a tad over $100 incl. shipping with the promo code.

I'll update what I think of them. Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
10% off at http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Promo code: DAD2013

offer ends tonight
Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
NorthernVandal is on a distinguished road
Marines:
NorthernVandal's Tacoma Gallery
what bulbs do I need for brake and tail lights? I'm a Tacoma noob so looking at light options, love LED. Thanks guys.

LOL, nevermind, I saw their search tool. Going to be buying some lighting it looks like.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
highcotton2003 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Britt
highcotton2003's Tacoma Gallery
I lov my LEDs they r bright but not to bright. i got the rear brake bulbs, 3rd brake light, reverse bulbs, cornerlights, dome light, the two map lights. and working on the guage cluser next. they all look great dont have a picture yet though just finished them a few days ago. their service is great quick and easy. prices are good too
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #16

Which ones did you get?

I just got mine earlier today. Got the brightest backups and tail brake lights that their search function said fit my 04.

Reverse lights are whiter. Not a whole lot brighter. Definately not bright enough to justify $17 a piece for.
These: WLED-WHP18-TAC: LED Tower T3-1/4 Miniature Wedge Base Tier Light bulb WLED-CWHP18-TAC: Cool White

And the brake/tail lights didn't fit. One snapped it's grounding soidering points just pushing it in the socket.
These: 1157-x26-CBT: 1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower 1157-W26-CBT: White

Hopefully they give me a refund for this. Because at the moment I would not recommend them.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer man. I've seen pictures on here with a significant improvement with LED reverse lights. Not sure which model folks got though
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
highcotton2003 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Britt
highcotton2003's Tacoma Gallery
i got the expensive ones not because i have money but because of that old saying " you get what ou pay for"
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try and get some night pictures with the model # and part info. That way you know they work and fit. That's one of the things I hate the most about changing to LEDs or ordering bulbs in general online is sometimes they fit, other times they don't.