Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need more stopping power!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
That combo would be around $200. It also might help to have new brake fluid put in and get the old stuff out of there. I don't seem to have much pedal travel and I have excellent emergency stopping power.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the stainless brake lines. It has helped with stopping when pulling my boat. Before I put them on, it felt like I had to push the pedal to the floor. Now it has a better bite when you push the pedal and no fade, as the lines do not expand.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Stainless steel lines, ebc slotted rotors and ebc yellow stuff pads
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
im sure its been noted, and beaten to death,

but for abs trucks, its going to come down to traction. dont overinflate your tires. or underinflate as that will affect wear.

my rig, with autozone brakes, and abs disabled could lock them up at 20psi all around loaded with camping gear and the rear proportioning valve disabled. i have a good performing master cylinder, healthy fluid, and a very bled system.

now, autozone brakes are great for a couple months, but deteriorate fast. po put on new rotors and ceramic pads. the pads ate the rotors. im oem now and suuuuuper happy to be back.

another big upgrade is the upgrade to tundra brakes. larger brakes require larger wheels though. in which case you need a bigger contact patch of tire/better traction otherwise your going to just lock them up/abs will stop you from locking up.

Also, if you are abs, make sure your abs rings are healthy, many tacos they spin freely on the hub in which case thats BAD and will cause a malfunctioning abs setup.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #28
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Rebuild your calipers. They're probably old and corroded. Buy a rebuild kit from toyota , clean it, replace the seals, Don't scratch the pistons, and paint/bake it.

Buy some steel braided brake lines from the group buy on here.

But some brembo blanks (Napa is where I got mine)
Then your choose of pads. (Hawk LTS, Centrics, EBC, or PBR XBG's) (I chose the Aussie made PBR's, because they are the new revamped version of the AXXIS metal-masters, which have always been considered exceptional pads, forever)

Put it all together and whammo, fantastic stopping power. It'll cost you about 250 total.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Rebuild your calipers. They're probably old and corroded. Buy a rebuild kit from toyota , clean it, replace the seals, Don't scratch the pistons, and paint/bake it.

Buy some steel braided brake lines from the group buy on here.

But some brembo blanks (Napa is where I got mine)
Then your choose of pads. (Hawk LTS, Centrics, EBC, or PBR XBG's) (I chose the Aussie made PBR's, because they are the new revamped version of the AXXIS metal-masters, which have always been considered exceptional pads, forever)

Put it all together and whammo, fantastic stopping power. It'll cost you about 250 total.
how long does it take to rebuild the calipers? is there a "how-to" on this?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
how long does it take to rebuild the calipers? is there a "how-to" on this?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-friendly.html

sorry for the late reply.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #31
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
haha well it's too late, but thanks for future reference!!

I ended up putting on Brembo blanks ($76 on ebay!) and Akebono ceramic pads. Things are running smoothly and stopping quite well!

The calipers turned out to be in really good shape surprisingly. I did however have to basically rebuild one of the pistons.. as I was pressing the pistons on one side of the caliper in to fit the new pads, one of the pistons on the other side over extended and shot out at me covering me w/ fluid!!

after a few choice words and a close inspection of how they went together I was able to get the retaining ring off, piston back in, and boot re-secured.

All is good
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
is your truck lifted my stopping sucked till I made a brake proportioning valve re locationing bracket now its awesome again
Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
DSMJRV is on a distinguished road

Name: justin
DSMJRV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellassaiw10 View Post
Stainless steel lines, ebc slotted rotors and ebc yellow stuff pads
i would do this, minus the slotted rotors

and to the guys saying they can lock the tires up, so no upgrades are needed.. thats just wrong, i guarentee you cant lock up the tires going 80mph down the highway with your stock brakes. just because you can do it at 10-20-30 mph doesnt mean you can do that at high speeds...
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #34
Robb235 is on a distinguished road
Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
If your wheels fit, I would upgrade to Tundra front brakes. 231mm did wonders for my 4Runner... And no more warped rotors. The swap cost me about $300 at AutoZone. I used the Duralast Gold (do not use the "CMAX Gold") brake pads and have been more than pleased. They stop way better, especially on the highway or when towing.

For rear disc conversion... Maybe try what this guy did?
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...on-pt-1-a.html

Products Discussed in this Thread