Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need more stopping power!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Need more stopping power!

I've never been in an accident and I consider myself a good driver. Going with the flow of traffic, I can scan far enough ahead and plan accordingly. In normal traffic, my brakes are sufficient, however, some jackass ran a stop sign today and I mashed my brakes pretty hard. Avoided an accident, but I feel like the brakes should have performed better. They are new pads and rotors. Any suggestions to improve stopping power that won't cost me a small fortune?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Osugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Osugoose's Tacoma Gallery
Ceramic Pads??
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
They are new pads and rotors.
Are they OEM or autoparts store brand?

You can try switching to performance pads/rotors from manufacturers like Hawk or EBC, but you take the risk of greater noise and shorter life.

At the end of the day you got to realize a Tacoma is not a Corvette. Short of outfitting a new brake system, you will always take longer to stop in your heavier taller truck than a lighter, shorter car.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Add stainless steel brake lines. That will take out the expansion on the rubber lines and increase pressure in the cyclinders.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
You can try switching to performance pads/rotors from manufacturers like Hawk or EBC, but you take the risk of greater noise and shorter life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Add stainless steel brake lines. That will take out the expansion on the rubber lines and increase pressure in the cyclinders.
It's important to note none of these mods improve stopping distance. They simply make the brakes "bite" earlier and can improve pedal feel. The stock brakes are already powerful enough to lock up the tires if ABS weren't present.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Mr.Jack is on a distinguished road
Mr.Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
Are they OEM or autoparts store brand?

At the end of the day you got to realize a Tacoma is not a Corvette. Short of outfitting a new brake system, you will always take longer to stop in your heavier taller truck than a lighter, shorter car.
Don't know what's on it. The dealer replaced everything for me. Do performance pads make much difference?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Brake pads are a compromise among bite, squealing noise level, and dusting. OE pads tend to be quiet and generate little dust, at the expense of initial bite. Dealer would use OE pads.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
you could try the tundra upgrade. I don't know too much about it but my Chipskip did this on his 1st gen and said the difference was "night and day". Its basiclly a big brake upgrade for the 1st gens
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3070A0A0.aspx
I have these and love them, you could also combine them with slotted or drilled rotors. I have the tundra brake upgrade, and it does cost a small fortune. i did notice a difference between auto zone gold pads and the ebc's
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I feel the same. When in my parents vehicles ('11 Sonata, '12 Ram) you have to feather the brake pedal versus my trucks. Their brake pedals take a whole lot less travel than mine does, I have to go a ways in mine.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3070A0A0.aspx
I have these and love them, you could also combine them with slotted or drilled rotors. I have the tundra brake upgrade, and it does cost a small fortune. i did notice a difference between auto zone gold pads and the ebc's

If you don't mind saying, what did the Tundra upgrade run you? And considering that, was it worth it IYO?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i have the tundra brake upgrade and love it. fitted the larger 231mm calipers, rotors and stainless lines for ~$400. huge upgrade in brake performance. make sure your wheels will work with the calipers, obviously. The OEM "star" 16" alloys on 2001-2004 Tacomas WILL clear the 231mm calipers.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
If you don't mind saying, what did the Tundra upgrade run you? And considering that, was it worth it IYO?
I got Ebc blank rotors and pads, and remaned calipers, also different brake lines, so i think it cost about $500. and it was totally worth it! These brakes are nasty. If there was an easy way to swap a toyota disc setup on the rear i'd probably do that too..
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i have the tundra brake upgrade and love it. fitted the larger 231mm calipers, rotors and stainless lines for ~$400. huge upgrade in brake performance. make sure your wheels will work with the calipers, obviously. The OEM "star" 16" alloys on 2001-2004 Tacomas WILL clear the 231mm calipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
I got Ebc blank rotors and pads, and remaned calipers, also different brake lines, so i think it cost about $500. and it was totally worth it! These brakes are nasty. If there was an easy way to swap a toyota disc setup on the rear i'd probably do that too..
That's not too bad of a price, if it's as good as you guys say it is. Having better brakes is def a good thing.. I really wish these trucks came with rear disc. There's bound to have been somebody on here that has put rear disc on, I'd be interested in that myself.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
I have EBC drilled rotors and green stuff pads, stops pretty well but it's no sports car.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
That's not too bad of a price, if it's as good as you guys say it is. Having better brakes is def a good thing.. I really wish these trucks came with rear disc. There's bound to have been somebody on here that has put rear disc on, I'd be interested in that myself.
I've only seen kits that use gm calipers, and there's no e brake
Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, and stainless lines stops on a dime. I have no complaints.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Smurf it.

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
Brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, and stainless lines stops on a dime. I have no complaints.
What did that run you, if you don't mind?

Products Discussed in this Thread