LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front wheel bearing

Old 06-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Front wheel bearing

After doing the upper ball joints this weekend, I get home and the front left wheel is squeaking/rubbing at low speed under 10 mph and is cyclic with the speed. I jacked it up and there is no play in any direction. Took the tire off and just by spinning the axle by hand i can hear it sometimes . Is this a wheel bearing possibly? Can I replace the whole spindle with one from a junkyard if so? Seems like its be much cheaper.

One other thing I did was top off brake fluid to MAX line but I doubt that caused the caliper to stick on or anything. Thanks guys.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
bump/question...

What would be a sign of worn or failing front wheel bearings? I have a small wobbly up front on the drivers side and i fear it to be a wheel bearing since i covered almost every other possible solution.

Dont mean to thread hi-jack but its relevant

EDIT: OP sounds like you bent a dust shield behind your rotors its a simple thing to check so at least take a look before spending any money.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
usually a roaring noise from the front
Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
usually a roaring noise from the front
any signs other than noise? its pretty quiet right now.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Jack your truck up and put your hands on the tire at 10:00 and 2:00 O'clock, if theres play its your wheel bearing, also keep and eye on the steering rack to make sure your not just moving that around as it usually has some play
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
any signs other than noise? its pretty quiet right now.
any strange vibrations coming from the front.

jack the truck up and try moving the wheel back and forth (towards the truck and away, towards you) if there is play, it's probably be the wheel bearing.

A good way to verify which side has failed is to drive straight down the road around 35-40mph and slightly turn the steering wheel to the left. If noise becomes louder it is the RIGHT side bearing that has failed. If you steer to the right side and the noise becomes louder it is the LEFT side that has failed.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bump/question...

What would be a sign of worn or failing front wheel bearings? I have a small wobbly up front on the drivers side and i fear it to be a wheel bearing since i covered almost every other possible solution.

EDIT: OP sounds like you bent a dust shield behind your rotors its a simple thing to check so at least take a look before spending any money.
"A small wobbly on the front" is usually an outer tie rod getting ready to give up. If your tires are cupped inside it also does that
Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #9

alright i will do the 10 and 2 shake test tomorrow thanks fellas!

EDIT: upper, and lower ball joints have less than 1k miles on them...inner and outer tie rods have less than 1k on them, same goes for alignment, and tires look to be wearing evenly... and poly steering rack bushings about 200 miles ago
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bump/question...

Come to think of it, we were messing with the dust shield. Ill have to take a look in the next few days. Don't worry about hijacking. I'm learning a lot with everything on here that I read.