Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cold weather advice (Engine heater)

Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Question Cold weather advice (Engine heater)

I realize we're just entering the summer season and this topic may be little out of touch but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about engine heating device for my V6 3.4L taco.

I'm moving from southern Ontario to Alberta in just over a month from now and the weather out there is very cold in winter compared to what we have here in Ontario.

I want to install a plug in electric heating device for the taco and was wondering what's best.

1) Block heater

2) Coolant heater (installed on one of the rad coolant hose)

3) Heated pad (attached to the oil pan or some people use it on the battery)

So far, I'm thinking a block heater would be best but I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about that.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm only an hour up the road from you near Viking. When the wind gets howling out here in Jan/Feb, -40 wind chill is the norm. I'd put a block heater AND an oilpan heater. That's what I"ve got on my stuff. They warm up in a couple minutes that way too.
Thanks for your service!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
I'm only an hour up the road from you near Viking. When the wind gets howling out here in Jan/Feb, -40 wind chill is the norm. I'd put a block heater AND an oilpan heater. That's what I"ve got on my stuff. They warm up in a couple minutes that way too.
Thanks for your service!

Thank you for the advice and your kind words. Viking is a nice little town, one of my wife's aunt is from there but I can't remember her maiden name.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
I just use Amsoil synthetic and the OEM block heater, no issues at all even down to -40*C.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'd recommend using synthetic oil and a block heater. I have a block heater, battery heater, and oil pan heater. Honestly though, I've never used them other than to make sure they work. We don't get cold enough temperatures and I have a remote starter that I let run for 15-20 minutes every morning before driving.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, so a block heater is on order.