Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel Filter

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
robertcorda is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
robertcorda's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Filter

I have a question about fuel filters. The fuel filter does not seem to be a scheduled service item and I did some research and found that Toyota engineers designed the fuel filter with such high efficiency and that most gas is quite clean that the fuel filter does not need to be replaced. Any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Replace it anyway. They do get dirty inside and can cause hard starting and other problems.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'd change it at 50k intervals anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
And take your time doing it so you don't ruin the mounting bracket. SMH... things I know now I didn't know then.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing a fuel filter every 15,000 miles is what most manufacturers recommend. Never hurts- lets the fuel pump last the life of the vehicle that way
Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
ManofSteel1 is on a distinguished road
ManofSteel1's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the fuel filter located?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
Where is the fuel filter located?
driver's side, just below the door, on the inside of the frame

Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
driver's side, just below the door, on the inside of the frame

Lucky SOBs!!! It was tucked under the intake manifold on the 95.5... Ball buster to change!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I randomly found a fuel filter for my old 89 4 runner. Examined my 01 fuel filter and realized it was exactly the same so I figured I would swap it out. Pulled the old one out and dumped it out from the in side. The fuel that came out of the filter was the gnarliest fuel I have ever seen it looked brown/green, with shit floating around in it. I'm guessing I was the first one to change it (around 270k). Felt no performance difference, but I was sure glad I had a clean one!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Larrys 02 Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Lawrence
Larrys 02 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
On the 4cyl models the fuel filter is under the intake manifold. Non OE repair maunels suggest changing fuel filter every 60,000. Just did the one on my 2.7 at 127,000, had been done once before (had a Chinese replacement that removed). I cut it open and undid the paper element and it was pretty dirty, more so than I expected. Changing one on the 4cyl engines is a challenge.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrys 02 Tacoma View Post
On the 4cyl models the fuel filter is under the intake manifold. Non OE repair maunels suggest changing fuel filter every 60,000. Just did the one on my 2.7 at 127,000, had been done once before (had a Chinese replacement that removed). I cut it open and undid the paper element and it was pretty dirty, more so than I expected. Changing one on the 4cyl engines is a challenge.
Terrible placement IMO.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
ManofSteel1 is on a distinguished road
ManofSteel1's Tacoma Gallery
Never noticed it there. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
That's on the 3.4L V6
Correct.

The guy who asked the question doesn't specify what motor he has. So I put mine
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Shotshell is on a distinguished road

Shotshell's Tacoma Gallery
I change it every spring in my '03, irregardless of mileage driven. They're fairly cheap. And with today's crappy ethanol infested fuels, it's a good idea. IMO.
My truck starts telling me when she needs a new one. She starts running weird, and I know it's time to replace (usually in the spring, around May-ish, for me.) So what I'm saying is, pick a month, and change it every year in that month, just to keep things simple.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
I change it every spring in my '03, irregardless of mileage driven. They're fairly cheap. And with today's crappy ethanol infested fuels, it's a good idea. IMO.
Agreed, but I would use a mileage based number ( miles driven = amount fuel put in). Either way, change it more often
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post

As EDJY also pointed out, the fuel that will come out of the inlet side when you change it is going to be super dirty. Do it. and be careful with the lines that run to it, not much wiggle room.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
As EDJY also pointed out, the fuel that will come out of the inlet side when you change it is going to be super dirty. Do it. and be careful with the lines that run to it, not much wiggle room.
FWIW, If you disconnect the brackets that hold the line to the underside of the body, makes it much easier to get the filter out/in.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
mc3404 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mc3404's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone notice a problem using an afternarket fuel filter on the 3.4? It seems as if mine started thumping after i put an aftermarket fuel filter on it. Today after further examination it sounds like the thumping that most cant figure what it is is actually coming from the fuel rail? Is this just me?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3404 View Post
Anyone notice a problem using an afternarket fuel filter on the 3.4? It seems as if mine started thumping after i put an aftermarket fuel filter on it. Today after further examination it sounds like the thumping that most cant figure what it is is actually coming from the fuel rail? Is this just me?
I've had no problem with the WIX filter I put in about 5,000 miles ago