Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

FYI: Truck won't come out of park?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: Truck won't come out of park?

Ok so we we're driving my father in laws 04 Prerunner with the 3.4 & auto trans. The truck would run but wouldn't come out of park. We thought we were pretty much stranded while towing the ski boat til I did a quick google search and found out that if the fuse to your tail lights blows, the truck won't let you put it in gear... It's a 10A fuse in the small fuse box in the dash. Just replace the fuse with the extra one in the fuse box under the hood and you're good to go! Just thought this might be good info in case it ever happens to you!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would find what that fuse feeds and check that also. When a fuse blows, it's not good practice to just replace it and move on without confirming there isn't a reason the fuse blew in the first place. Fuese can 'go bad' with time but you want to rule out a stripped wire or faulty device also. Just a suggestion, but I'd find the wiring diagram and poke around a bit to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I would never have thought to look at fuses.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Crusher 2 is on a distinguished road
Crusher 2's Tacoma Gallery
Assume you may have backed the boat trailer in the water with the electrical still connected? Or the trailer wiring/lights caused the short and cleared when everything dried out?

Ask me how i know this......
Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would find what that fuse feeds and check that also. When a fuse blows, it's not good practice to just replace it and move on without confirming there isn't a reason the fuse blew in the first place. Fuese can 'go bad' with time but you want to rule out a stripped wire or faulty device also. Just a suggestion, but I'd find the wiring diagram and poke around a bit to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
It sounds like a feature. The fuse likely blew because the short caused by dunking the trailer.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
It sounds like a feature. The fuse likely blew because the short caused by dunking the trailer.
If that's the case, then yeah. But that's what I'm talking about, locate the cause of the failure and determine it's not anything serious.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely don't use a larger fuse to keep it from happening..Just in case anyone was thinking it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher 2 View Post
Assume you may have backed the boat trailer in the water with the electrical still connected? Or the trailer wiring/lights caused the short and cleared when everything dried out?

Ask me how i know this......
Winner winner chicken dinner... Lol we just disconnected the trailer plug before replacing the fuse
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
When I first got my Taco and brought it back to life, it wouldn't shift out of park unless I pressed that little button on top of the steering column. But now it works fine- and we never did anything to it. O_O
Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Same deal on 2nd gen FYI. I was messing with trailer harness and popped fuse. Couldn't shift.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
randytrish is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randytrish's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem with my 03 and my trailer. There's a shift override switch at the shifter to get it out of park until the fuse can be replaced.