Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bedside shovel mounts

Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Bedside shovel mounts

This has to have been asked, but apparently I am bad at Google because most of what I find has to do with fiberglass bedsides. Apologies in advance..

I picked up some quick fists with the intention of mounting a shovel to the side of the bed. I've seen plenty of trucks in this space, but am curious as to how you guys go about attaching them. If I pull the splash guards out, will I be able to reach up under the side and get at the back of a screw to put a nut on it? Or is a sheet metal screw my best option?

My bed is beat to hell so I'm not against drilling into it, just looking for suggestions on the right way to get these suckers on there. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
For clarity (and to show off my mad photoshop skills), I'm looking to mount it lower on the bed, above the wheel well so that the top half of the spade doesn't poke out as much.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
IMO having a thru bolt/nut & backing plate will be your most solid option, but idk if you can gain easy access to the back by simply pulling off the splash guard (you probably can but I've never tried)

heres mine and I'm very happy w/ the placement. (but I have a cap fwiw)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
this thread has good ideas too: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ol-mounts.html

This guy (below) mounted his where you want yours, I know its a 2nd gen but I think you could pull this off easily using your bed rails as an anchor point and fabbing up a support bar that sits on the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicali View Post
Thanks for the Thread!

Just added more info to my build thread, But here is a pic of all three of my new mounts; I used lifting eyes and T-nuts to mount to the bed rails.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a single quick fist holding a folding shovel to my bedside on the passenger side... looking for a pic.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
this thread has good ideas too: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ol-mounts.html

This guy (below) mounted his where you want yours, I know its a 2nd gen but I think you could pull this off easily using your bed rails as an anchor point and fabbing up a support bar that sits on the wheel well.
That looks like exactly what I need to do. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping in mind that my truck is a 10-footer (it looks way better in pictures than it does up close, haha) and that my bed is beat to hell, this worked out great. I actually had to order a straight spade because the one I had curved in too far, so in the meantime this edger will have to do.

I grabbed some framing T-braces from the local hardware store, and mounted up the QFs to it, with a splash of paint.

I intended to go behind the lip, but I figured every little bit of clearance counts (between the shovel and the bedside) and the curve of the bedside is actually quite a bit lower than my brackets are. So opting for lazy + who cares, I put them on the outside. Works great and the shovel doesn't move around at all.

It doesn't move at all, doesn't hit the bed and doesn't poke up over the edge, which is exactly what I was looking for. Plus, since I have an edger and not a spade, if I get stuck I can redecorate the area around my truck with some laurels and shrubberies while waiting to get pulled out.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
I think the intention is to only have it in when you go wheeling.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Nice work! Looks perfect there. I think you just inspired me to re-vamp mine so that I can add an axe .. hmm

is security a concern? someone could walk off with that in a second
I live in the 'burbs, and the only time I really use the truck is for wheeling. If someone really wants a $15 Home Depot shovel I suppose they would certainly be able to grab it easily, but I'm not too worried about it. I've had my fire extinguisher on the light bar for about 6 months and nobody's walked off with it yet. Hell, I don't even lock my doors most of the time, haha.

(Here's hoping that I didn't just jinx myself...)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
jhatheway is on a distinguished road

Army: C co 1-134th Longe Range Surveillance
Name: Josh
jhatheway's Tacoma Gallery
F