Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strang Brake Rotor Problem

Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Brake Rotor Problem

I recently got some Brembo Blanks and Hawk LTS pads. After the install I tried to do some of the techniques mentioned on the back of the Hawk box to break in the pads. I accidentally hit the brakes really hard one good time. After this I starting hearing a repetitive clunking while braking. The clunk changed with the speed I was going as I was braking. I immediately went home and took off the tire. After some inspecting, I realized I could grab the hub and spin it back and forth while the rotor remained still. The clunk I heard was the rotor hitting my studs. The rotor was not seated on the hub properly. I tried everything I could to make it sit right but every time I test drove it, it did the same thing. Did I warp the rotor by braking too heavily too soon? Is it no longer seating properly because it is warped? I can't believe that braking hard one good time could ruin a new rotor. What if I was driving after installing my brakes and a kid ran out in front of my truck? Any input is appreciated guys.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
I recently got some Brembo Blanks and Hawk LTS pads. After the install I tried to do some of the techniques mentioned on the back of the Hawk box to break in the pads. I accidentally hit the brakes really hard one good time. After this I starting hearing a repetitive clunking while braking. The clunk changed with the speed I was going as I was braking. I immediately went home and took off the tire. After some inspecting, I realized I could grab the hub and spin it back and forth while the rotor remained still. The clunk I heard was the rotor hitting my studs. The rotor was not seated on the hub properly. I tried everything I could to make it sit right but every time I test drove it, it did the same thing. Did I warp the rotor by braking too heavily too soon? Is it no longer seating properly because it is warped? I can't believe that braking hard one good time could ruin a new rotor. What if I was driving after installing my brakes and a kid ran out in front of my truck? Any input is appreciated guys.
Im far from an expert on the matter, but my recommendation would be to pull everything apart and walk back to step 1. The re-assemble ensuring that everything is properly in its place, torqued down, and greased/lubed as necessary. I doubt stabbing the brakes would've warped your rotor.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
Im far from an expert on the matter, but my recommendation would be to pull everything apart and walk back to step 1. The re-assemble ensuring that everything is properly in its place, torqued down, and greased/lubed as necessary. I doubt stabbing the brakes would've warped your rotor.
X2
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
So replaced the rotor with another Brembo from Napa and it is fine. Maybe it was a defective rotor? Weird...