LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are there better times to use the RR locker than others?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
SurefireDBL is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
SurefireDBL's Tacoma Gallery
When is the ideal time to use the RR locker?

So, I replaced the actuator and I did the grey wire mod. Now then,
I was playing around in the back yard (grass) and testing it out with open diff and started to spin. I then thought to myself, " perfect time" for the RR locker to be engaged. I did and the truck just started to spin (both tires) and moved/shifted sideways. WTF!
Backyard has a short, slight grade to it. Wasn't wet, just grass.
Question is, are there better times to use the RR locker than others?
I hope this makes sense.
Signed,
Disappointed
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I don't use it on ice or any other slippery surface that may cause the back end to slide out from under itself. I mean I've used it on ice but it was in a fairly flat area. I've also decided against it while going up an icy road with a cliff to my left. But that's about the only condition I don't use it. I suppose a muddy trail that leans one way wouldn't be the best if the back end broke free as well though.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Climbing straight up or down a grade = good time

Driving along the grade = bad time

Ice or other slippery surfaces = bad time.

Snow, gravel, dirt, rock face = good time

Generic situations and rules so take it for what it is worth. First hand experience is hard to beat.

Mud, I have no clue about. I stay away from it.

Not sure why you are disappointed. The rear locker is not a magic traction button. It is a tool to be used in the appropriate situation.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Engage it BEFORE u get stuck for extra insurance.

Its def not gunna pull ya out of stuck as well as those 2 front tires.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Law Enforcement:
Thanks to everyone. So it definitely has its limits. I just thought on a little grassy grade going straight up? Oh well, like tomtom said, first hand experience is hard to beat. I will slowly learn. Definitely glad it is working as opposed to not.
More comments are appreciated.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The locker is good for times when you'll be flexing the suspension and floating a tire. Open differentials put power to the tire with the least resistence (the one most likely to spin and get you no where). A locker forces power to both tires and should help you through the obstacle.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The locker is an incredible resource to have at your fingertips when the situation calls for it. I can tell you out in Moab it came in handy a few times. Like everyone else said it is all about the right time to use it.

Check out this video of an idiot with open differentials. You can see how only the front right tire spins while the other 3 lay useless. A locker in that situation would cause him to get out.
http://youtu.be/egYkhl7Xv5A

Here is another example:
Look at how the big green truck(@6:25). He has 2 spinning drivers side tires while the other two that have good traction do nothing.

You will have to go to youtube to see this one and jump to 6:25 to see what I am talking about.

http://youtu.be/mTXXJ8dbnR0?t=6m24s
Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
what are your tires like?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
The locker is an incredible resource to have at your fingertips when the situation calls for it. I can tell you out in Moab it came in handy a few times. Like everyone else said it is all about the right time to use it.

Check out this video of an idiot with open differentials. You can see how only the front right tire spins while the other 3 lay useless. A locker in that situation would cause him to get out.
http://youtu.be/egYkhl7Xv5A

Here is another example:
Look at how the big green truck has 2 spinning left tires while the other two that have good traction do nothing.

You will have to go to youtube to see this one and jump to 6:25 to see what I am talking about.

http://youtu.be/mTXXJ8dbnR0?t=6m24s
Wow, that first dude was just mangling his undercarriage
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Wow, that first dude was just mangling his undercarriage
I know right, did you have your volume on? You can hear his drive shaft spinning!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The locker is good for times when you'll be flexing the suspension and floating a tire. Open differentials put power to the tire with the least resistence (the one most likely to spin and get you no where). A locker forces power to both tires and should help you through the obstacle.
Well said.

In addition to some of the other comments mentioned, locking the rear diff can also make sharp turns very difficult. It can clobber your turning radius. I was taking a hairpin turn on dirt uphill one time with the rear locked and couldn't cut it sharp enough. Once you're in that situation, you can't unlock because there's too much tension built up. So I had to back up to make the turn. Not a big deal but it's a little scary if you're not expecting it, especially if there's a big rock or cliff on the outside of the turn.

Also not mentioned is that locking the rear diff is great for doing doughnuts.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
I like to use mine with cruise control on speeding down snow and ice covered highways with deep ditches and or cliffs to the side...SARCASM!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
what are your tires like?
Good point, Madjik. I don't even have all terrains. Fusion SUV' s. They were on it when I bought it. They have great tread still yet. But they are just descent I suppose.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Everytime I plan to actually wheel mine, I lock the rear end. 2wd/4wd, it doesn't matter. I have never had it turned on and said "if only the rear end wouldn't have been locked".

You can't do this without the locker.

Or probably even this.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurefireDBL View Post
So, I replaced the actuator and I did the grey wire mod. Now then,
I was playing around in the back yard (grass) and testing it out with open diff and started to spin. I then thought to myself, " perfect time" for the RR locker to be engaged. I did and the truck just started to spin (both tires) and moved/shifted sideways. WTF!
Backyard has a short, slight grade to it. Wasn't wet, just grass.
Question is, are there better times to use the RR locker than others?
I hope this makes sense.
Signed,
Disappointed
rear diff lock isn't a replacement for 4x4. It isn't a very dramatic step up from open rear. But rear diff lock and 4x4 multiply each others effectiveness, unless you're in some of the aforementioned scenarios. Momentum, line choice, tires, and other driving decisions still apply.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurefireDBL View Post
Good point, Madjik. I don't even have all terrains. Fusion SUV' s. They were on it when I bought it. They have great tread still yet. But they are just descent I suppose.
Highway tires are terrible in grass. They're like the complete opposite of what the tires are designed for. A little grass can really embarrass a two wheel drive truck sometimes, especially if it's wet (which I know you said it wasn't) lol
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #17

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
Everytime I plan to actually wheel mine, I lock the rear end. 2wd/4wd, it doesn't matter. I have never had it turned on and said "if only the rear end wouldn't have been locked".

You can't do this without the locker.

Or probably even this.

Do you have a video of that 2nd event?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So just to clarify, with open/open diffs does power go to the tire with the least resistance on each axle? Or just the one tire with least resistance?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If you see a hot chick then you lock the rear diff and slide over to pick her up
Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post
So just to clarify, with open/open diffs does power go to the tire with the least resistance on each axle? Or just the one tire with least resistance?
With an open diff, the power will transfer to the tire with least resistance. So in the pictures above, the tire in the air would normally be free spinning, while the tire on the other side of the axle would have no power at all. So essentially our 4x4 trucks are really only 2wd in certain situations. But with a locked rear you will always have at least 3 tires with power.