Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

truck loses power for a second when floored.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
GioGuitarDude is on a distinguished road

Name: Gio
GioGuitarDude's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy truck loses power for a second when floored.

1996 3.4l v6 manual transmission x-cab tacoma.
When I punch it and put the pedal to the floor, my truck feels like it loses and regains power several times in a rapid manner. It almost feels like I'm repeatedly flooring it and then completely letting off the gas several times but very fast. Fuel filter has just been replaced and both differentials, tranny and transfer case liquid has been recently replaced. Spark plugs are new and clutch plate and bearing was recently replaced. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a miss fire. Did u only replace the plugs and not anything else invovling ignition?
it could be fuel pump. Cuz a fuel pump can go bad by two ways. Either pressure or volume.
one wont let the truck start and the other causes lose of power.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yota View Post
Sounds like a miss fire. Did u only replace the plugs and not anything else?
it could be fuel pump. Cuz a fuel pump can go bad by two ways. Either pressure or volume.
Could be a fuel pump, or it could be the air filter, when was the last time it was cleaned?
Or (less likely IMO) it could be the coils, or wires. ( i can't remember of you have coils or a distributor)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Half028 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenny
Half028's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure you have coils. Might want to check the ohms on each.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely sounds like a misfire. My '98 did something similar when it was in desperate need of a tune-up last year.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard of an EGR getting clogged up or going bad on a Tacoma; but, I've had this same problem with others vehicles due to just that
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Half028 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenny
Half028's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Definitely sounds like a misfire. My '98 did something similar when it was in desperate need of a tune-up last year.
What all did you replace
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half028 View Post
What all did you replace
My mechanic did it. He replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, and ignition cables.
My truck was only misfing if I let it sit for a week or so. (while I was out of town) At first I thought it was a bad tank of fuel or water in the tank. It happened twice before I got the tune-up. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need a tune-up.

I'd do the following;

replace spark plugs
inspect the wires
replace fuel filter
inspect and replace air filter if needed
oil change
clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor
inspect the belts and replace as needed
check the coolant

Also depending on the mileage now may be the time for a 4x4 service which includes;

draining and re-filling the front and rear diff (make sure the fill plug comes out first!)

Also if you have a 5 speed, i'd drain and fill the trans.

Edit: Just saw that you've done most of what i'd typed. I'm gonna leave this up in case someone else was wondering.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a bad fuel...

OP: Have you had the problem for more than one tank? Can you put a few gallons of 91 in it and see if it gets better? (Just trying to knock the cheap possibilities out before spending money on parts)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Injectors
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
It might be a bad fuel...

OP: Have you had the problem for more than one tank? Can you put a few gallons of 91 in it and see if it gets better? (Just trying to knock the cheap possibilities out before spending money on parts)
Haha this reminds me of my jeep. It had problems starting in the morning. (Yet later in the day it would start. Just figured the jeep wasnt a morning person )
ran 91 octane through it for a week and never had the problem again
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

Thank you guys for the help!
I actually FIXED IT
I'm not sure witch one did it, but I cleaned the sh*t out of my MAF sensor and intake system and I also added an extra ECU ground straight to the negative battery terminal. Purrs like a kitten now.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half028 View Post
I'm pretty sure you have coils. Might want to check the ohms on each.
I actually had a bad coil a few weeks ago that was causing it to misfire even worse. Truck runs fine now since I cleaned the MAF. It has 230k miles on it so I'm not surprised that this stuff is finally starting to show some wear. Thanks though man.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Welcome! Good luck with fixing this, sounds like trouble!
Dirty MAF was the culprit. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yota View Post
Sounds like a miss fire. Did u only replace the plugs and not anything else invovling ignition?
I replaced the ignition coils a few weeks ago along with the plugs. One of the coils was cracked. It ran much better after that but it still hesitated when I'd floor it. I added an extra ECU ground wire straight to the negative battery terminal and cleaned the crap out of my intake and MAF and it runs better than ever now. Prob solved. Thank you guys!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Sounds like you need a tune-up.

I'd do the following;

replace spark plugs
inspect the wires
replace fuel filter
inspect and replace air filter if needed
oil change
clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor
inspect the belts and replace as needed
check the coolant

Also depending on the mileage now may be the time for a 4x4 service which includes;

draining and re-filling the front and rear diff (make sure the fill plug comes out first!)

Also if you have a 5 speed, i'd drain and fill the trans.

Edit: Just saw that you've done most of what i'd typed. I'm gonna leave this up in case someone else was wondering.
Yeah you're pretty much dead on with that
It ended up being a dirty MAF.