Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rust + paint bubbling help

Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Taco302 is on a distinguished road
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
rust + paint bubbling help

Purchased the truck a little over a month ago, and need to stop the rust from spreading over the cab area. It begins around the windshield area (front-center) and will not stop if I don't act. Other areas in the vicinity appear to be "bubbling", what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
rust + paint bubbling help-rust.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Bubbling means the rust is underneath the paint already. I would strip it down I metal and respect it. Or use a rust converter.

Bubbling is bad, though, and it'll get worse if not addressed.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
What is the best method to strip, and what is the best way to cover and prevent?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Rust creeping out from beneath the windshield molding means lots of effort to fix. What causes it is glass shops cutting the windshield out and not putting primer on the scratches they have made. Moisture sits in there and eats your truck immediately, constantly.
It's frustrating- those guys all know better, but the extra 2 minutes it would take are too much effort, I guess.
Best case scenario: the glass comes out and amazingly, the pinchweld is still largely intact. POR-15 or Rust Mort in the pits, fibreglass or body filler for the cosmetics. Paint whole roof.
Worst case scenario, the pinchweld is totally rotted away. $$$ or, if you're capable, hours of fabrication. Body fill, paint whole roof.
Sorry to break balls like that, but I think that once the glass is pulled it is going to be bad news...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
If you want to solve the problem, I would not recommend a rust converter. Rust Converters are essentially plant tannins (tannic acid) which react with the Fe2+ and Fe3+ ions to form an iron tannate (the black colour you see when using a corrosion converter). The problem with this method is that it is not proven as an effective means for inhibiting future corrosion as it is unable to act as a barrier for water and oxygen to continue the electrochemical corrosion process.

In short, if you really want to solve this, you need to grind the area down, apply a corrosion inhibitor, then repaint. The proper and correct application of a coating will prevent access of water and thus prevent corrosion from occurring.

Alternative methods or options would be any effective means you can establish which would block either the ingress of water or oxygen to the area, and by water I mean anything above 15-20% relative humidity.

Hope this adds some understanding to the problem. Additionally because some of the purpose of correcting this issue would be the aesthetics of the paint layer, the best method for this would be to repaint.

-Corrosion Researcher and Project Manager of Iron Objects
Thx, which corrosion inhibitor would you recommend? And as for grinding, do you suggest sanding or some other method?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco302 View Post
What is the best method to strip, and what is the best way to cover and prevent?
The only way to truly stop rust is by sandblasting
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I will grind/sand about 6" back from the windshield and fill apply a generous coat of paint.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
This is a common problem on these 1st gens.

Here's mine with the windshield being replaced a few weeks ago. Mine has had this issue going on for several years now