Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's with eibachs or 881s?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
JMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jack
JMaberry's Tacoma Gallery
5100's with eibachs or 881s?

I've had my tacoma (2001 4x4 TRD) for about 5 months now, and will soon be getting new tires, wheels, and a lift. I've got just about all of it figured out, but I'm getting a little stuck on the suspension. I was planning on doing 5100s all around with the fronts at 2.5 and a 2" AAL, until I started hearing that the ride with the TRD progressive coils and the 5100s at 2.5 is almost unbearable (obviously subjective, but that seems to be the consensus). If someone can chime in and convince me that the ride isn't bad, then that would be my first choice budget-wise. I like a stiffer ride, I just don't want bone-jarring.

But assuming that that won't be a great option, I've now been considering getting new coils as well. Mine aren't in too bad of shape, but they are aging a bit (162,000 on the truck) and it seems like I might need new ones for the lift/ride I want. So now the 2 options I've been looking at to stay within my budget are 5100s at 0 with either 881s or eibachs. From my understanding, the eibach/bilstein combo would get me about 3" of lift and the 881s/bilstein would be closer to 2"? I would like to have the most lift I can get without having to worry about getting UCAs, diff drop or any early component wear. It seems like with the 881s most people dont have any issues and dont bother with UCAs, but the eibach's are a little more hit or miss?

If anyone can confirm any of this info or correct me, and give me some advice on what option would be best, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
i had 881s on the first notch (for the 5100s) and got about 2" of lift ride was GREAT!

However i needed more lift so i moved up to the second notch on the 5100s ride got really stiff and wasnt that great.

switched to eibach coils and LOVE IT i also got 3" of lift of the springs. If lift wasnt a concern 881s on the first notch, if lift is important eibachs

another note, eibachs are stiffer springs than the 881s (unless your on the second notch with the 881s)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
JMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
i had 881s on the first notch (for the 5100s) and got about 2" of lift ride was GREAT!

However i needed more lift so i moved up to the second notch on the 5100s ride got really stiff and wasnt that great.

switched to eibach coils and LOVE IT i also got 3" of lift of the springs. If lift wasnt a concern 881s on the first notch, if lift is important eibachs

another note, eibachs are stiffer springs than the 881s (unless your on the second notch with the 881s)
Good info, thanks for your input! Did you replace UCAs or anything else or have any issues with angles?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I have the eibach and 5100/ 5125(rear) setup as well. It's a nice ride and you get 3" of lift. I also have roughly 2.25" of lift on the rear with new leaf springs. All in all I love the setup. I didn't have to change the UCA'S and my alignment has been good. I'm gonna take it in next week just to get it checked but as far as driving it feels great.

I would recommend getting new coils, and just like Wolfgang said, if you want the full 3" go with eibach. I think OME has a setup where if you want the 881 coils you can add a top plate spacer to get the full 3" but you may have to get the OME shocks. Not sure how the spacer would affect the ride of the 881 coils
Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post

don't do what he did. pre loading lift coils not only makes the ride stiff but also put enormous stress on the suspension. dangerous.

I have 881's on 5100's and got exactly 2" of lift. the ride is a little jarring but was better than stock.

a lot of guys will recommend to keep brands together but honestly IMO it comes down to how much lift you want. eibachs give you the full 3 inches and then some where 881's will get you exactly 2. also remember that eibach is a 620lb coil where OME is only 500lbs (load capacity not actual weight)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I can go for the 881s and get 2 inches with no worry about cv boots or anything and a good ride, or I can go for the eibachs and get a full 3 inches with possibly needing new cv boots or UCAs later on...and maybe a diff drop? How many guys go for the eibach/5100s combo and alter something (replace cv boots, diff drop, new UCAs) and how many just leave it stock? And I also keep seeing mention of the boot slide mod, but I don't quite understand it. Is that something that is done instead of a diff drop and would solve any potential problems with the lift? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
joeer77 is on a distinguished road

joeer77's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Srpings Good

I've been debating this as well. I'm running 5100s at 2.5" setting with the stock springs. I think the ride is great on my 2004 with 62,000 miles. Only problem I have is I still get fender/mud flap rub at full turn with 265/75/16 Duratracs. I've been debating whether to get the Eibachs for a little more lift to eliminate the rub. Seems like a lot of people do not like the stiffer ride from the Eibach springs or change in CV angle. You could always try out the stock springs on 5100s at 2.5" setting and if you don't like it throw in the OME or Eibach springs later.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

it's always better to get new coils for lift. you retain full travel and aren't preloading your probably old and sagging stock springs. bilsteins and eibachs are designed to work together. it's also good to consider the nitro shocks paired with the 881's. you'll get 2"of lift and I've heard the ride is quite nice, a little softer than the toytec setup
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

At this point I'm more or less decided on the 5100/Eibach combo. I like the amount of lift and it seems like the cons are nothing unmanageable. What I'm stuck on now is figuring out the rear. I'm attaching a few pictures I took today of my leafs, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can give me some advice on whether or not they are shot. If they aren't too bad, I'll just get an AAL because this setup is getting expensive pretty fast haha. But if those are shot, I'll probably just bite the bullet and go ahead and get a set of Dakars.
Attached Thumbnails
5100's with eibachs or 881s?-20130623_130000.jpg   5100's with eibachs or 881s?-20130623_125944.jpg   5100's with eibachs or 881s?-20130623_125934.jpg   5100's with eibachs or 881s?-20130623_125851.jpg   5100's with eibachs or 881s?-20130623_125828.jpg  

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaberry View Post
At this point I'm more or less decided on the 5100/Eibach combo. I like the amount of lift and it seems like the cons are nothing unmanageable. What I'm stuck on now is figuring out the rear. I'm attaching a few pictures I took today of my leafs, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can give me some advice on whether or not they are shot. If they aren't too bad, I'll just get an AAL because this setup is getting expensive pretty fast haha. But if those are shot, I'll probably just bite the bullet and go ahead and get a set of Dakars.

From what I see your leaf packs still have some posotive arc. Mine had negative arc to them. I think an AAL will do you well. But like many have said, its just a bandaid. It'll last you a good while but a new leaf pack is always better. Either way the Eibachs/ Bilstein combo w/ AAL on the rear will get u lifted and should be level I would think. Post some pics when it's all said and done!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #11

with 162,000mi on them? those leafs are shot. done. dead. fini. an AAL will last you about a year. if you don't tow anything. or load the bed.

looks like you're getting a new pair of Dakars!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Well, Dakar's it is! I think I'll be going with Dakars with 5125s in the rear, and 5100s/eibachs in the front. as well as pro comp 7069s and treadwright 265/75/16 Wardens