Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2004 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Temp Gauge

Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
tckendrick is on a distinguished road
Name: Tal
tckendrick's Tacoma Gallery
2004 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Temp Gauge

Ive seen some posts about this before, but still haven't gotten a valid answer. What is the optimal temperature for my truck to be running at and how would I check it?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
My transmission temp ranges between 160-170 degrees with normal driving.

My engine temp before I had my old Yota OEM T-stat part replaced ranged between 180-190 degrees. After the old t-stat was swapped with a new Yota OEM part it runs a bit higher now between 190-200 degrees. There have been several reports that the new OEM T-stats run at a higher temperature.

Also I think it's safe to say that if both temps are below 200 degrees on your taco you are good to go. Also you will want to make sure your transmission temp is not too hot but it should also not be too cold (especially for those cold weather states) for optimal performance and longevity.

I recommend you use a scangauge via OBD2 port to monitor both your engine and trans temp (via x-gauge). An ultragauge, although cheaper, at this time will only allow you to monitor engine temps on our Tacos.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
LOW.LIGHT.WIDE
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
Yes... I recommend the scangaugeII. It's an excellent way to keep an eye on things. My daily running temps range from 90-93 celcius for engine temps and 170-200 ferhiniet for tranny temps. It displays 4 readings, so I have ATF temp, engine temp, VLT, and intake temps. You can also scroll through a bunch of other readings as well. Very good investment. Especially for only $115
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Off topic, how did you guys get the trans temp reading on your scan gauge?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB1977 View Post
Off topic, how did you guys get the trans temp reading on your scan gauge?
Click HERE for the SG code trans temp.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
My transmission temp ranges between 160-170 degrees with normal driving.

My engine temp before I had my old Yota OEM T-stat part replaced ranged between 180-190 degrees. After the old t-stat was swapped with a new Yota OEM part it runs a bit higher now between 190-200 degrees. There have been several reports that the new OEM T-stats run at a higher temperature.

Also I think it's safe to say that if both temps are below 200 degrees on your taco you are good to go. Also you will want to make sure your transmission temp is not too hot but it should also not be too cold (especially for those cold weather states) for optimal performance and longevity.

I recommend you use a scangauge via OBD2 port to monitor both your engine and trans temp (via x-gauge). An ultragauge, although cheaper, at this time will only allow you to monitor engine temps on our Tacos.
Are you running a trans cooler or just running the stock one through the radiator?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #7

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdNPrerunners View Post
Are you running a trans cooler or just running the stock one through the radiator?
I have a new external cooler in the garage that is ready to mount so I can bypass the radiator to avoid the "pink milkshake" from ever occurring in the future.