Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Motor Mounts

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Motor Mounts

I did some searching and can't seem to find anyone who makes poly motor/trans mounts for the 1st gen Tacos (i'm a V6). I don't really want to go with solid mounts due to the fact that they translate a lot of vibration and harshness into the cab.

If anyone has any info on where I could purchase a set of poly motor/trans mounts that would be great!

Thank you,

-Brian
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking into getting these, some guys here already use them, Tranny one i dont know yet.

http://www.trail-gear.com/bomb-proof-motor-mount-kit
Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
I am looking into getting these, some guys here already use them, Tranny one i dont know yet.

http://www.trail-gear.com/bomb-proof-motor-mount-kit
Yes I've seen those, they are the solid mounts I was talking about. I'm just worried about all the motor vibrations being transferred into the cab.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
steezemcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the 4xInnovations trans mount and just leave the motor mounts alone unless you have to replace them. The trans mount alone will take out a lot of the slop

http://4xinnovations.com/p-TCC1326.html
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Solid mounting the transmission and leaving the motor mounts rubber is a recipe for destroying the engine mounts.
You either solid mount everything, or nothing.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezemcqueen View Post
I'd go with the 4xInnovations trans mount and just leave the motor mounts alone unless you have to replace them. The trans mount alone will take out a lot of the slop

http://4xinnovations.com/p-TCC1326.html
Thank you for that link I did not know 4xI made mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Solid mounting the transmission and leaving the motor mounts rubber is a recipe for destroying the engine mounts.
I have heard this before, glad someone else can confirm this.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not sure if you were responding to me but the 4xI mount isn't solid. Its poly.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not sure if you were responding to me but the 4xI mount isn't solid. Its poly.
Yes I was responding to you, and yes it's a solid mount. I own it along with the TG mounts.
Just because it has two thin poly bushings doesn't mean it's not a solid mount. A solid mount does not mean metal:metal. If you do strait metal to metal you'll rip the perches right off the frame. The poly on the 4x is just an isolater between the two pieces. The TG mounts are the same way, they have a poly bushing between the pivot points. They are still "solid mounts."
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
4Runner Abuser

Quote:
Yes I was responding to you, and yes it's a solid mount. I own it along with the TG mounts.
Just because it has two thin poly bushings doesn't mean it's not a solid mount. A solid mount does not mean metal:metal. If you do strait metal to metal you'll rip the perches right off the frame. The poly on the 4x is just an isolater between the two pieces. The TG mounts are the same way, they have a poly bushing between the pivot points. They are still "solid mounts."
Umm...No. A solid motor mount is just that. Solid. Metal. No movement. The 4xI mount (which i own too) is a poly bushing which is stiffer than rubber but definitely not a solid mount. It moves too. I've also been running it with the stock motor mounts and they aren't destroyed....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Umm...No. A solid motor mount is just that. Solid. Metal. No movement. The 4xI mount (which i own too) is a poly bushing which is stiffer than rubber but definitely not a solid mount. It moves too. I've also been running it with the stock motor mounts and they aren't destroyed....

At the end of the day this is just terminology and nomenclature. The 4x mount moves...barely. Just as the TG mounts move...barely.
So little that the feedback felt by the driver is enough to rattle your fillings out, which is what the OP doesn't want.

My feedback comes from a desert racing perspective. And (semi) solid mounting half the drivetrain puts all the dampening on the non semi-solid mounting parts...which rips the rubber apart in spirited offroading. I can't speak for DD or mall crawling, but I started with only the 4x only and ended up with a torn engine mount on the torque side and a bent perch on the non-torque side. Carry on with whatever it is you want to do, just providing my input on what's happened on my truck.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
4Runner Abuser

Quote:
At the end of the day this is just terminology and nomenclature. The 4x mount moves...barely. Just as the TG mounts move...barely.
So little that the feedback felt by the driver is enough to rattle your fillings out, which is what the OP doesn't want.

My feedback comes from a desert racing perspective. And (semi) solid mounting half the drivetrain puts all the dampening on the non semi-solid mounting parts...which rips the rubber apart in spirited offroading. I can't speak for DD or mall crawling, but I started with only the 4x only and ended up with a torn engine mount on the torque side and a bent perch on the non-torque side. Carry on with whatever it is you want to do, just providing my input on what's happened on my truck.
That makes sense. My feedback comes from rock crawling and i haven't any issues with my setup. I can honestly say that the 4x mount didn't have a significant increase in stiffness but did help a lot with reducing the shifter movement side to side.

Just providing my experiences like you were
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

I appreciate all the input guys, let's keep the advice coming!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
in my opinion, i dont see why u need to change the mounts....

only reasons id change the nounts are if my rig was built like jasons flying through the desert w/ supercharged power catching air or....

had a crawl box like dylan and waned mor support for the drivetrain. when i sas ill get all new mounts...

until then stock works just fine imo
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
in my opinion, i dont see why u need to change the mounts....

only reasons id change the nounts are if my rig was built like jasons flying through the desert w/ supercharged power catching air or....

had a crawl box like dylan and waned mor support for the drivetrain. when i sas ill get all new mounts...

until then stock works just fine imo
The stock mounts are starting to crack as the rubber is drying out. Also I will be installing my supercharger w/7th injector & 2.2" pulley in the coming month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I've been running the 4x inno mount on my transfer case and kept the stock motor mounts and tranny mount. I know I'm a second gen but figured I'd toss in some info

I get very little drivetrain slop and the cab shakes and shimmies a little at idle, the 4x mount really tightened things up. I'm very happy with it overall. If 4x ever makes motor mounts for the 2nd gens I would def pick them up.

Good to know, maybe I'll pick it up. If I don't like it, i'll just put the stock mount back in.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
661prerunner has a spectacular aura about661prerunner has a spectacular aura about

661prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
How hard are they to install?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661prerunner View Post
How hard are they to install?
It's a pretty simple, and straightforward, unbolt the old and bolt-on the new.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Link817 is on a distinguished road
Link817's Tacoma Gallery
Auto or stick? I ordered poly mounts from lcengineering for the motor and did frontrange offroad transfercase mount. The whole drivetrain is now poly mounted, saving grace is that im a 5speed and dont get the vibrations sitting at a light. Only downside is that the stock mounts have a kinda heat cover to them that keeps the exhaust heat away, so one of my mounts has heat exposure to it. I dont know if the v6 exhuast is the same
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link817 View Post
Auto or stick? I ordered poly mounts from lcengineering for the motor and did frontrange offroad transfercase mount. The whole drivetrain is now poly mounted, saving grace is that im a 5speed and dont get the vibrations sitting at a light. Only downside is that the stock mounts have a kinda heat cover to them that keeps the exhaust heat away, so one of my mounts has heat exposure to it. I dont know if the v6 exhuast is the same
I'm a 5 speed. I couldn't find the poly mounts on LC Engineering's site, maybe i'm looking in the wrong spot? All I could find is the solid "bomb proof" mounts.

I will check out Front Range Offroad though.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #20

Called LC Engineering today. They do not offer, nor do they know of anyone who makes poly mounts for the 5VZ-FE Tacoma... bummer. All they had to offer were solid mounts, but they said that if this truck is driven on the road ever (which it is) then I DO NOT want the solid mounts, which I already knew.

Still, i'm not giving up on my search.