Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Crazy vibrations when braking

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Crazy vibrations when braking

Alright so I have been trying to track down the cause of this issue and i am coming up with no luck. At first I was terrified it was LBJ issues but i did the "jack each wheel up and grab at 3-9 and 6-12" thing and saw ZERO play at the 6-12 locations and a tiny tiny bit of movement at the 3-9 locations but nothing that seemed excessive.

Generally the issues begin in the 45 mph - 65 mph range. I can feel it in the steering wheel when it's starting to feel wobbly but it goes crazy when I'm braking at these speeds. If I drive on the highway for extended periods of time in the 75-80 speed the issue goes away all together. Generally the issue is most apparent in the first 15 mins of the drive. Also another thing I noted was that my left rotor felt really hot (like burn my fingers hot) after a drive while the right felt just warm.

Also I tested this in neutral and the issues still exist. So my theory as of this point is warped rotor? Could it cause vibes even when not braking?

Truck is an 01 bone stock btw.

Video of issue:

Going to rotate the tires this weekend to rule that out hopefully.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Betting on warped rotors. Cheap and easy fix to install new rotors. Do the pads while you're at it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
highcotton2003 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Britt
highcotton2003's Tacoma Gallery
having the same problem mine feels like its in the rear tough it feels like it hops when braking hard. thinking its the drums out of round. any other ideas?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton2003 View Post
having the same problem mine feels like its in the rear tough it feels like it hops when braking hard. thinking its the drums out of round. any other ideas?
Check your driveshaft Ujoints. Also take a close look at your rear leaf springs. If you're on old, stock leaf springs they might be worn out and getting a lot of axle wrap that would cause the hopping. Especially if you have a cracked or broken leaf in the pack.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Looked on recommendations on rotors/pads, these should be a good combination from what I read correct?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...1&autoModClar=

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...1&autoModClar=