Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recommended oil weight for rear differential

Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #42
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 reg cab base and I changed mine with mobil 1 75w 90. Took 4 full quarts until full. Anybody know what the specs call for as far as quantity or past experience?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #44
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
I have an 08 reg cab base and I changed mine with mobil 1 75w 90. Took 4 full quarts until full. Anybody know what the specs call for as far as quantity or past experience?
Idk what the specs are but im for certain it isnt 4qts. Was the truck anywhere near level when you pumped it in.

Edit: seems as though that is about correct, 3.4qts. By the time you leave a little in each court you would be right on.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #45
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Idk what the specs are but im for certain it isnt 4qts. Was the truck anywhere near level when you pumped it in.
It is a second gen., and the truck was perfectly level in my garage. The book says 3.5, but at that much the diff was no where full. At exactly 4, the oil started to slowly come out of the fill hole. How much does your truck take?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #46
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
It is a second gen., and the truck was perfectly level in my garage. The book says 3.5, but at that much the diff was no where full. At exactly 4, the oil started to slowly come out of the fill hole. How much does your truck take?
Yea i know, i corrected. If your pumping it in you leave quite a bit in each qt which i add to the next qt and then at the end i have what should be in your case .5qt left over. Mine has the locker and only takes like 2.5qt.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
jlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jlove1974's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about a Gen 2 Taco, but my non-LSD 3.90 geared Gen 1 rear end held right around 3.75 qts. Of course, I pumped it from a gallon container and there was some left in the pump. Fiddling with all those quart containers doesn't work well with transmissions/transfer cases so I only buy gear oil in gallon jugs now.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #48
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
Typically old-school, you can fill the case until it starts to run out the fill hole... Works on boat lower units all day long... Not sure if over-filling will cause any damage on the truck though...
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #49

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblack03 View Post
Typically old-school, you can fill the case until it starts to run out the fill hole... Works on boat lower units all day long... Not sure if over-filling will cause any damage on the truck though...
Thats how i do it, i just keep a talley to see how close i actially got to the number. If your truck was really unlevel and you crammed a bunch in there you would problay blow the axle seals out is all if it didnt burp through the breather.