Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Recommended oil weight for rear differential

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
Recommended oil weight for rear differential

It appears that everything else that rotates under the truck calls for 75W-90 gear oil. Rear end calls for SAE 90 or SAE 80 or 80w-90, all depending on the environmental temperatures. What do you guys run in climates where it will go above or below zero degrees depending on the day? Here in Vermont, anything can happen. I'm leaning towards 80w-90 full synthetic for the rear, year long unless somebody has a better idea. Oh, and the lack of rear differential cover is a bit creepy being a long time GM man...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go 75-90 synthetic for Vermont... there's barely any difference but 80 might get a little gooey on those cold winter days. Either way it's not something that will make or break anything.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to behold

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Just like engine oil. The higher the number the thicker the oil. At opererating temp both are the same. Just thicker when cold. 75W90 and call it good.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, 75w-90 synthetic for all 4 boxes? I really don't tow anything, so is there any merit to dropping down a lighter weight for better economy?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I use Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear for front/rear diffs, and xfer case.

Amsoil signature series for the auto tranny.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Manual trans for me...
Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
80w 140
Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
I like bright things.
thunderone will become famous soon enough

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
Stay with the specified weight. If anything, you don't want to go thicker if you live up North. That just increases the wear. It's the same concept with motor oil. The colder it is, the "thinner" you'll want the oil to be.

FWIW I use Castrol Synthetic 75-90 in everything that ain't combusting (you can get it at Oreillys). I don't seem to have the "clunky" shifting with the 5 speed anymore either.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I asked this same question not too long ago... my mind is still scrambled

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-w-locker.html

I ended up getting 75w-90 synthetic for everything

Royal Purple for the transmission and transfer case (because it was on sale)

Valvoline synthetic for both the diffs
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
75-90 mobil 1 but i get it cheap at the local whole sale place for around $8 quart. Mobil 1 for all.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
bamadawg2009 is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
bamadawg2009's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so what weight for rear end with detroit locker? Its getting time to change mine since I had the locker put in and I cant find anything from detroit's website as what weight to use.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadawg2009 View Post
Ok so what weight for rear end with detroit locker? Its getting time to change mine since I had the locker put in and I cant find anything from detroit's website as what weight to use.
Mine has the factory locker in the rear and while the manual says 80w-90 every knowledgeable poster here and other 4-wheel drive guys told me 75w-90 is fine. Especially for your climate in Florida
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I run synthetic 75w-90 in both diffs, tranny, and transfer case. I'm in the desert (supposed to be 116¯¯° tomorrow) and its seems to work fine for me for around 12 years and 175,000 miles.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #14

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Mine has the factory locker in the rear and while the manual says 80w-90 every knowledgeable poster here and other 4-wheel drive guys told me 75w-90 is fine. Especially for your climate in Florida
I see you have a 1998. I don't know how many miles you have or how hard you've 4x4ed, but have you ever listened to your rear diff? After about 175,000 miles, especially if you have wheeled moderately, I recommend listening to the rear diff every time you change out the oil. Put it up and let it run with the wheels turning at idle. As best you can, stick your ear close to the diff and listen for rumbling/grinding coming from inside... an indicator things are getting pretty worn, It will also generate a little more heat. Doesn't mean the diff will explode driving down the road, but something to be aware of if it gets worse the next time and to eventually fix. I keep an "ear" on mine because I'm sometimes in some shitball trails very far from... anything.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
bamadawg2009 is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
bamadawg2009's Tacoma Gallery
Thx Mike I've got to get on it. I need to put on diff drop and replace blown out cv boot I've got both cv axles (new) so I might as well change oils and everything while Ive got the front tore apart. I wish I had gone with a suspension lift instead of being cheap and going with spacer lift, this is the 3rd set of cv axles in 4 years since the lift was put on.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift you running?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think we're talking about huge differences here, 75W-90 v. 80W-90 but I will say that the rear end will "get up to temperature" fairly quickly, even in cold ambient temps. There's a lot of fluid friction and shearing action with hypoid gears (hence the GL-5 rating) I think for the life of a rear end, clean quality GL-5 rated oil is more important than the cold rating of two multi weights that are basically 90W when hot. If I recall correctly the manual transmission requires a GL-4 oil because of the brass syncro's, so using the same oil in all of the axles/gear boxes is not really a good idea.
In the "for what it's worth" category - I run 75W-90 (GL-5) in the front differential, and transfer case, 85W-90 GL-4 in the tranny and 80w-90 (GL-5) in the rear differential. Everybody has their own opinions and sometimes is easy to start splitting hairs over little things.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
By the way "Backinblack03", I'm running the same truck you are, 03, 2.7L, 5 speed.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
I see you have a 1998. I don't know how many miles you have or how hard you've 4x4ed, but have you ever listened to your rear diff? After about 175,000 miles, especially if you have wheeled moderately, I recommend listening to the rear diff every time you change out the oil. Put it up and let it run with the wheels turning at idle. As best you can, stick your ear close to the diff and listen for rumbling/grinding coming from inside... an indicator things are getting pretty worn, It will also generate a little more heat. Doesn't mean the diff will explode driving down the road, but something to be aware of if it gets worse the next time and to eventually fix. I keep an "ear" on mine because I'm sometimes in some shitball trails very far from... anything.
I've wheeled pretty hard.

And I've never listened to it.

Thanks for the pointer. Will try to do this soon.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
I don't think we're talking about huge differences here, 75W-90 v. 80W-90 but I will say that the rear end will "get up to temperature" fairly quickly, even in cold ambient temps. There's a lot of fluid friction and shearing action with hypoid gears (hence the GL-5 rating) I think for the life of a rear end, clean quality GL-5 rated oil is more important than the cold rating of two multi weights that are basically 90W when hot. If I recall correctly the manual transmission requires a GL-4 oil because of the brass syncro's, so using the same oil in all of the axles/gear boxes is not really a good idea.
In the "for what it's worth" category - I run 75W-90 (GL-5) in the front differential, and transfer case, 85W-90 GL-4 in the tranny and 80w-90 (GL-5) in the rear differential. Everybody has their own opinions and sometimes is easy to start splitting hairs over little things.
The synthetics I bought say they're good for a GL-4 and GL-5 application.