LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

95 4x4 that needs serious maintenance. SUGGESTIONS?!?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #41
dstock is on a distinguished road
Marines: Cpl 1345
Name: David
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
No, I haven't seen a single good thread on the timing chain. Use the Chiltons, it'll get you through.

This is the skinny, and why I recommend you get in there and do it now if your aim is to keep the truck at 100% and drive it forever:

The chain is designed to last for the "life of the engine", which is 250k according to the Toyota engineers. You're close to 200k. At a minimum you need to get in there and check the plastic guides/tensioners. More than likely they are closed to cooked. Chain failure is rare, but IMO that's because there aren't too many guys driving them well over 300k, which you have the opportunity to do. Myself, I'd do it at 200k (now) and call it good until the motor or truck disintegrates. Means a little bit of work, but you're also starting to get into the motor, which will reveal any problems or potential problems with the added benefit of replacing old seals/gaskets.
Yeah I plan to drive the truck for forever but want to keep it at 100% so I will definelty put this at the top of my "list" of stuff to do.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #42
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
well here are the pics of the floor boards halfway done with bedliner and complete
Attached Thumbnails
95 4x4 that needs serious maintenance. SUGGESTIONS?!?-download-1-.jpg   95 4x4 that needs serious maintenance. SUGGESTIONS?!?-download.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #43
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstock View Post
well here are the pics of the floor boards halfway done with bedliner and complete
Man, I hate your camera.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man, I hate your camera.
me too... its my phone of course, I will try to get some better pics with the wifes camera when its not raining
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
me too... its my phone of course, I will try to get some better pics with the wifes camera when its not raining
What kind? All of my gallery pics are from an i4. Are you using tapa?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #46
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
I use tapa at work on my droid HD maxx but I take the pictures on my phone and then upload them to my computer via email then add them as an attachment to my posts
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #47

Quote:
I use tapa at work on my droid HD maxx but I take the pictures on my phone and then upload them to my computer via email then add them as an attachment to my posts
... while doing hand stand push-ups and flutter kicks and singing 'Hail to the Chief'???

Bro, that's way too many steps for such a poor result. Gotta be an easier way?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #48
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
For the timing chain check out yotatech, lots of info over there.

There is also 4crawlers method which leaves the head on so you don't have to mess with the head gasket, getting the block cleaned and decked, etc..

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

He has tons of other good tricks too.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #49
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
... while doing hand stand push-ups and flutter kicks and singing 'Hail to the Chief'???

Bro, that's way too many steps for such a poor result. Gotta be an easier way?
yeah I am sure there is an easier way but I would be doing it if I knew how.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #50
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
For the timing chain check out yotatech, lots of info over there.

There is also 4crawlers method which leaves the head on so you don't have to mess with the head gasket, getting the block cleaned and decked, etc..

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

He has tons of other good tricks too.
thanks for the link I think that is the best right up I have seen.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #51
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
and it looks like the wifes camera is missing so y'all are sol on good pics
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #52

Quote:
and it looks like the wifes camera is missing so y'all are sol on good pics
Got a long holiday weekend, gonna do any relaxing or turn wrenches?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #53
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a long holiday weekend, gonna do any relaxing or turn wrenches?
turning wrenches and drinking beer all weekend
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #54

Quote:
turning wrenches and drinking beer all weekend
Nice! I've got a day of sandblasting lined up for Friday. Might get lucky and put my tires in dirt Sunday if all goes well.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #55

How's the truck coming along?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #56
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #57
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
the truck is coming along pretty damn good so far. I am starting to like it so much I am considering selling my 2nd gen and making this one my daily driver. I have literally done almost everything you guys and I listed as far as replacing shit and maintenance and it is running 10x better now. I wish I would have takan a picture of the throttle body before I cleaned it, it was so gummed up with crap that I am surprised the truck ran at all. I did notice while taking the airbox ,intake tube, and TB apart that some idiot drilled about 15 1/4in holes into the front of the airbox and then cut a 2inx3in hole into the metal intake tube for some reason. They had the hole in the metal intake tube covered with tinfoil and electrical tape which I did not notice when I bought the truck. Does anyone have any idea why someone would do this??
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #58
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
I was very pleased with those marlin crawler shifter bushings too, it took me half an hour to take the shifter out, clean all the crap off, put in new bushings, then put it back together and wow what a difference!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #59

All that drilling sounds pretty half-ass to me. You could go back to stock, or maybe a snorkel?

Glad to hear the overhaul is going well! Any evidence of damage when you replaced all the fluids (milkshake in the diffs, metal shavings, etc)?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #60
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man, I hate your camera.
Camera made for ants?