Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help removing oil filter

Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
help removing oil filter

so i am changing my oil now and beig the idiot that i am i didn't check to see how hard it would be before i started...

i successfully drained the oil but now i can't get the filter off.

can someone tell me how i am supposed to get the filter off a 1st gen and how i am supposed to get the new one on there tight considering i can hardly get my arm up there?

maybe i am going in the wrong way??

any help would be VERY appreciated!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with the first gens, but I would venture to say that the filter wrench that fits on the top of the filter and uses a ratchet is your best bet.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
so i am changing my oil now and beig the idiot that i am i didn't check to see how hard it would be before i started...

i successfully drained the oil but now i can't get the filter off.

can someone tell me how i am supposed to get the filter off a 1st gen and how i am supposed to get the new one on there tight considering i can hardly get my arm up there?

maybe i am going in the wrong way??

any help would be VERY appreciated!!!!
go thru the little flap in the fender well. and you may need to use a filter wrench to get a better grip.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not by my truck now... do i need to unscrew anything to get the flap open?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
it also helps if you park the truck with the wheels turned all the way to the left, it gives you a little more room to work with
Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
is it ok for the truck to sit overnight with no oil in it... starting to get dark here
Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
no the flap is held on by little plastic rivets u can push out with your hand
Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
awesome... going to try that before it gets too dark... be back with results
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
success!!! thanks for the help... moving the flap was key

luckily i could unscrew the filter with my hand because the wrench i found wasn't tight enough to grip the filter

i put in 5 qts oil and 8 (?) oz of STP oil treatment but i can't see the oil on the dipstick... maybe i need another qt. will go get that tomorrow and see but i thought the 3.4 L engine took about 5.8 qts... will check again

thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
5.8 quarts equals 5 quarts and 25.6 ounces. Not sure if its the issue or me misinterpreting but I thought i would throw that out there
Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
the oil treatment bottle was roughly a third of the qt. oil bottle

i guess i was over estimating how much the treatment would add

may have been more than 8 oz too
Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
even with just 5 quarts it should be well up on the dipstick, you should start to see just 4 quarts on the stick. besides the obvious (leaking out as fast as you put it in or adding to your tranny fluid as in wrong dipstick) are you pushing the dipstick all the way back seated in when you're checking it? if you're sure you put 5 quarts in and the additive don't go dumping another quart in...you'll just end up draining it out later.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Owners manual for a 1997 3.4L with 4WD states 5.5 US Qt with filter change.

If memory serves me correctly, though. I always put 6 US Qt. in.
May have been 1/8- 1/4 Qt too much, but looked good on the stick.

Either way, what you added should be registering on the stick. Make sure you insert the stick all the way. It's kind of finiky that last 1/2".
Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Being that I'm going to be doing an oil change myself for the first time this weekend or next, it's good to hear about the trick to get the filter off. I remember reading that getting it off on the 5VZFE was a bitch. Glad to know theres an easy way to do it!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i made a mess the first few times i did an oil change on my truck with that crazy filter. Then i figured out the splash guard trick..It still makes a mess, but not as much.

The best tip for you sir, is to take the skid plates off, or everywhere you go it looks like your truck is leaking oil for a week.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
Have u tried priming the engine after putting the oil in it? you should have already been able to see oil. Try turning the key two clicks right and let everything circulate for about 20 seconds. then check the oil.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
this is kinda a stupid question but i have done it before did u put the plug back in after u finished draining it???
Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
this is kinda a stupid question but i have done it before did u put the plug back in after u finished draining it???
LOL, thats what I was thinking and only because I have done it! I did that on my 97 when I was in high school, my dad just watched as I dumped 5 fresh quarts through the engine then ask if I had put the plug in. I must say I will never do that again!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Remember to put some clean oil on the rubber o-ring on the filter, and DO NOT over tighten, you probably already have the filter on but hand tight is more then enough. Some filters have markings at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, half a turn past where the rubber touches should be tight enough. I've seen guys use a filter wrench to put the filter on, only to curse up and down when they try to change it later!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
LOL, thats what I was thinking and only because I have done it! I did that on my 97 when I was in high school, my dad just watched as I dumped 5 fresh quarts through the engine then ask if I had put the plug in. I must say I will never do that again!
I had a buddy call me and say he changed his oil and now the engine wouldn't crank. Turned out he drained his tranny empty and dumped 4 quarts of new oil on top of the 4 quarts of old oil in his engine. It was so full the pistons couldn't move up and down. Pretty new Lancer too.