1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought a 1996 Tacoma and have some questions.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hoodoo Creek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jun 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    So I bought a 1996 Tacoma in fabulous condition with 114,000 miles. I understand that the Tacoma's had spring issues in the rear suspension as well as frame corrosion problems. I read that these two issues were at one time, covered by recalls. How can I know if mine has had these two problems addressed?

2. Jun 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes Too Drunk To Taste This Chicken

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '01 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    OME Lift, 285's
    You will have to get your VIN# and then i assume the easiest way would be to contact a Toyota dealer and have them check their database to see if a repair was made after the recall. Maybe have the recall # handy too if you can find it.

3. Jun 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    hello fellow idaho bro. :wave: boise here.

as for your truck, congrats on joining the 96 club. you are past the date for the rust recall if you have it (15 years) and if there was a spring recall i have never heard of it. there is for certain year second gens, but not first.

now if the truck has spent its life in idaho i wouldn't' worry about rust. maybe surface rust but not holes. just to be sure though take a hammer and start hitting all up and down the inside of your frame, by the leaf hangers, cross member. front end. wherever. you will know pretty quickly if you have some bad rust.

as for the rear. as with most 1st gens the springs have sagged and weakened over time. do some research and look into getting a new rear leaf pack. best way to do it.

4. Jun 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Just keep in mine that us 95-97s have shorter leafs then 98-04s.

Wheelers sells a pack for us and OME Dakar packs for the older trucks fit.

Or you can just rebuild them.

Welcome to TW and congrats on the best year of truck out there :cool:

5. Jun 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Congrats on a rare find. Everyone else answered you questions but :worthless:

6. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's

My bad! I put them in the introduction I did as a new member, however, let's see if this will work for ya!:D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    I looked the frame over, and of course the dealer washed it, but the frame still has black paint on it, but it's hard to tell on the inside of the frame. Everything seems solid though. By the way, I have a brother in Boise area.......(Parma) and my folks just left there, for Kingman Arizona!

8. Jun 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Thanks for the pic... that's one clean looking truck!

9. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    Thank you Lumpskie! We happened into the dealer as the truck was being traded in. I sat in it and though I had my heart set on another 1994 extended cab..... I knew I had to have this truck. It took a week to get it delivered to my place, but you're absolutely correct that is is super clean. Nothing on carfax, and even the seat is premo. I kinda thrashed my original 94, then, as I learned what a great truck it was........after 15 years and more than 200,000 miles, I started regretting not taking better care of it. The Tacoma is going to be a different story though, as I keep this one in the garage. Oh yeah, vehicle worship occurring here! :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    Got a chance to check out the frame a bit more, after reading horror stories about the frames rusting in half and mine still feels like it has paint on the inside of the channels which is a real relief. I'm pretty much stunned in fact because the truck looks almost new underneath except for a bit of oil around what appears to be the transfer case drain plug and a great deal of grease slung from the two universal joints.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  11. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    dlehmkuhl

dlehmkuhl Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 Stndrd Taco
    Coil over front suspension Blocked in rear
    Although I don't feel like I should give intros, welcome bro! Congrats on that '96, she's a beauty! I just traded off a "totaled" '96 SR5 for an e-locking rear diff and a couple hundred bucks. It was the extended cab too man, I almost cried when I got my new one ('98 SR5), no joke. They're great trucks, and if you give 'em their TLC when they "ask" for it (taaaalk to the truck maaaan) they'll outlast anything else on the road, imo. I had over 374K on mine and she ran like a hotrod. I transferred my slotted rotors and ceramics to the new truck, and various other things including my K&N. Those trucks are real swappable year to year as long as you pay attention to detail. This forum is the shiznat when it comes to asking technical questions! Anyway, glad to see you got such a great Taco, give her a kiss for me, lmfao.

12. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    dlehmkuhl

dlehmkuhl Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 Stndrd Taco
    If they don't leak at least a little bit there's something wrong imo. :D

13. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    dlehmkuhl

dlehmkuhl Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 Stndrd Taco
    Just to brag a little more on those '96's. I got mine with over 300K years ago and it was a flood truck from Katrina. I had rust inside the bell housing and my cooling system had about two cups of sediment in it. Various other things man, various....anyway, the frame was solid as a rock, and still was when I *sniff* gave her away, so yea.

14. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6

as far as i know if u live in the north where there is heavy snow you might see those kind of issues but down here in Cali. i seldomly see these king of problems.

congrats on the new purchase and welcome to tw:D.

15. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    Oooh thats a very clean looking 1996 you have there! Gotta love that year.

Also, is that an English Springer Spaniel? I had one as my first pet, he was a loving and smart dog.

16. Jul 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's

Yes, that's my best friend ever, Billy. We have 5 of them and they are English Springers. You know, we've bought a few Toyotas that were a few years old and they had subtle signs of use like a slight tear in the seat, or the gear shift knob was changed, despite the vehicle having only 40 or 50 thousand miles. But I'm totally stunned at this 17 year old truck which does have a few very minor scratches, but the seat, the carpets, underneath the truck, behind the seat, even inside the bed and canopy look absolutely brand new. I should put up more pictures of it. It's simply amazing. It was owned by a woman, and it must have been garaged, because even the dash board is super crisp looking. The truck just pops! I almost hate driving it to my work, which is a weld shop 11 miles from home. Seat covers are in order!

17. Jul 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    I'm thinking that the 1994 I own is going to take the Winter season, while the 96 takes residence in the garage!:D

18. Jul 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    No, I'm enjoying this forum a great deal! I'm stunned that you were able to pull down that many miles from your Tacoma. Thus far, my impressions of the Tacoma are that they fall short of the Highlux models like the 1994 I have. The Tacoma's seem much more long legged and the suspension lacks that "Cadillac" feel of the previous suspension. But make no mistake, I love that Tacoma too! It's certainly one tight truck!:cool:

19. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Cadillac feel??

Shit both ore taco trucks I've half owned are stiff and bouncy as shit. Lol

20. Jul 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    Really? Gosh my 94 is much smoother than the 96, but maybe it's because my 94 has well over 230,000 miles and the extended cab which allows me to recline a lot more.

Products Discussed in

To Top